Loyalty Upgrade

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I seen this on the telus site going through my account by clicking on learning more about device balance and they have a bunch of things and what they mean. I've been with telus since 2012 and NO ONE has offered me any sort of loyalty. 

Is this the case for everyone or is it something you have to ask for???

Highlighted
Resident

I have been with telus since I got my first cell phone in the 1990's. They show me as joining in 2000.  I, like you, have never been offered any loyalty package / program. I have heard that if you see a promotion you like (from Telus or Competition) that interests you that you should call and ask for the retention department and ask what they will do for you. Always be prepared to walk or they may let you hang up. I have been told that they will call you back but it may be too late for Telus. Stand your ground and now that I know I am not the only one, I will be calling. I should point out that now my balance is 0 I have begun to receive offers but they are no different than what I see for non-Telus clients. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

In the past, if I recall, Telus would waive the last few months fees of your phone and plan if you upgraded early. Telus also allows you to keep a current plan which may be more cost effective for you, the consumer, than current plans. Telus also has the fewest complaints of the three largest telecom suppliers, so if you consider quality of service important, you may find value in staying. 

To my knowledge, none of the majors are offering substantial loyalty bonuses, though there may be some consideration to new customers on occasion from some of them.  

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Talk to your dealer or call TELUS and ask for  the loyalty  department.  They tend to be quite nice and like to help you.  Ask them what they can do for you;  usually they have a bunch of things they can choose from such as knocking down the price of your plans a bit or offering free feature options.  eg voicemail, or whatever.  Also,  try checking the website to see plans offered in other provinces, especially Saskatchewan.  Sasktel is quite competitive and TELUS responds.   If a plan suits you, ask the rep if you can subscribe to the out of region plan. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus will not match anything from plans in Saskatchewan and Manitoba in other provinces. I have tried that already.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No because they like hosing use here. Rates are way cheaper in MB and SK. They'll have some excuse on infrastructure yada, yada. That's all fine and dandy, where i live literally 3 blocks away from their tower i sit with ONE bar for signal strength. Go 3 blocks away to my local shopping center it's 90% of the time NO Service. I am all for a deal, when they refuse to address the real issue. Adding another tower, because they can't fix issues. I am not talking a concrete jungle it's a residential area with no obstructions.

I got offered the lame Telus Extend as a stop gap for no service at home...

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus' infrastructure investment in Saskatchewan:

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

eh,  I don't know what their criteria are but I had a couple of Sask.  plans  on our account (I am in AB)  for two years  then gave them up to get the sharing plan -  for us a much better deal.   I think the current plans  in Sask. are going to disappear and are likely deprecated.   Personally, I think that any plan offered in one province should be available everywhere.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Regarding coverage:  the CRTC should demand that the network providers publish detailed maps that show tower locations and expected signal levels.  The mass of dark green is a joke.  I will say this: TELUS is much better than Rogers.  BTW, I believe you get the same coverage in SK as Sasktel since the two have a coverage agreement.  If this isn't true then please correct me.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

MadMax - last I heard, Telus and SaskTel did have a tower sharing agreement. SaskTel has all the towers and hardware.

The listing of towers seems to vary by province and the only public listings are from third party sites which have varying accuracy and don't always show the same towers between them. Provinces with shared towers are even harder to find locations. It would be an improvement if the CRTC had it on their site but that would likely cost taxpayers a lot more.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Industry Canada already has all of the tower location and radio data, and it is publicly available through a cumbersome interface.  The telcos have analytic info of expected  signal strengths.  I'm saying the CRTC should force the providers (TELUS, Rogers, Bell, etc) to either provide honest and detailed coverage info or make no claims at all.  This would not cost the government anything.  We (consumers) deserve better than what is currently being provided in terms of coverage information and in terms of phone performance.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Thanks for the tip on the map... fascinating!

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

xl - That is one site I do use but it's also missing a number of towers and the frequencies used on some of them. Not sure how often they update it. There was another site but it's worse and then there is a paid one that thinks it's the best but they only offer a free trial of the Ottawa area. 😕