How to block mobile data on prepaid plan?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

What is the make and model of the phone?  Most phones have a setting you can flip.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

In addition, you could purchase a $10 add-on to capture up to 100mb of these inadvertent data events.  Also, if he is picture texting, he has to turn on data. While those charges are free, any ancillary data consumed at that time is not. When turning on data, some small amount will be consumed with the 'check-in' process as the phone connects to the data network.

I had to do this when I set up an iPhone 3GS, as it would not work at all without a data connection. The few bytes here and there quickly looked to be adding up to far more than $10, so I added a cheap data package.

Finally, I suggest you make you son responsible for adding the top-ups, rather than them being automatic. The lack of convenience will help him accept his volume of use. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Guardian
I had TELUS block data at the account level with my daughter's phone but she wasn't on prepaid. You should call TELUS and see if it can be done for prepaid accounts.

Note that MMS will not work with data blocked. There are no data charges on top of the MMS charges but it uses the data connection.
Highlighted

Hello findmydream, I think that the answers provided by our friends NFtoBC & xl are accurate. You have 3 options, block the data from the phone, ask a Telus agent to block the data or add a prepaid data package. I hope this will help you!

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Highlighted
Ambassador

Hi, if you call your customer service team (*611) they'll be able to add a data block for free and you'll be avoiding this issue.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@findmydream wrote:

None of the answers are helping any. 

If SuperFred's answer does not work for you, I'm not sure how this discussion forum can help. If you have an Idea for a new service, then the best place for your suggestion is the Ideas section.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @findmydream 

We definitely have the ability to block data on Prepaid accounts. If you're interested in adding this feature, please reach out to our client care department. Contact info here

Highlighted
Rockstar

@A_Kron wrote:

Hey! @findmydream 

We definitely have the ability to block data on Prepaid accounts. If you're interested in adding this feature, please reach out to our client care department. Contact info here

Great answer @ A_Kron: Here's my point of view on this hot topic. If TELUS-IT-Department has the ability to "Block data on Prepaid accounts" They can do the same in Monthly accts too. There're a lot of complains, about go over the "DATA-Limit at the month's end, although most users, previously have Set up by their own a [Mobile-Data limit & Adjusted the Data-monthly-Usage cycle] to STOP consumption at 1GB for i.e but doesn't work. So again why don't apply the same for monthly accounts.

Regarding the issue, pointed out by "findmydream" of (Chosen an answer-that he didn't choose) We've to re-assestment this practice, because definetly isn't very welcome by members. Let's work in both issues..1) Apply the Data-Block to monthly accts too. 2) Re-assessment the "Marked an answer as ACCEPTED solution-Done by others" Look forward to heard-your opinion or MODs-top.Authors replies welcome!.. Regards from <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Rockstar

HOT-Topic: BLOCK-data in Prepaid accounts & UNBLOCKED in Monthly accounts, sounds fair to you-Dear Telus costumers,.No definitely not at all. So if you're affected for either one,.Have a saying in this topic-If we press down together, we can make the TELUS' Giant to look into the matter & make changes in our favor. Let's emit our opinions-Soonn!  Bye <v9>

@-Xl+Artemis: Thks your inputs provided are valid. But in my case. I wouldn't mind be unable to log in some websites 2-1 days, before the monthly cycle's end to avoid "Overage charges" but I can't. When I escalated my case on the (Data-issue) I Manage to increase my [500MB-$15 to 1GB-$20] The Agent toldMe ($30) on the initial talk-but we agree at the end on (1GB=$20) He showedMe as well-how to Set up the Data limit & the monthly Data-chart-cycle at 1GB] on my SGs4.

Although I Set up 1GB- As limited in the practice it doesn't work, every mo. I pull out the battery 1-2 days before the bill cycle end to avoid "overage charges" So capitch why I support an effective [Blockade of data by the Carrier) Finally admit that-isn't the case in this topic-but helpMe to state my position on this issue. To much-Chit-chat..Hahaa! <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
The user just needs to know how to disable/enable data on the Samsung Discover to prevent accidentally use data instead of wifi. It should be as simple as airplane mode. Anyone know how to use a Discover?

If you disable data at the carrier level... it gets complicated with logging into a website.
Highlighted
Ambassador

On that device should be as simple as;

Settings - More - Wireless and Networks - Tap Mobile networks. Remove the check from "enable data".

Another thing you can do that may be a bit extreme is remove the data APNs.

Highlighted
Guardian

@findmydream wrote:

Interesting how an answer was chosen that I didn't choose. None of the answers are helping any. I don't have the extra money either way to pay for the extra data, whether by an add-on or accidental use. He has a Samsung Discover. There should be a way to block data from Telus like you can with an actual plan. MMS doesn't matter to us. It's never worked even with mobile data on except to eat it up without doing anything.

There is a way and it's been suggested to you to call TELUS and request it. Interesting how you choose to ignore the solution.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@findmydream wrote:

@findmydream 

That's rather a slap in the face to the volunteers who responded to your inquiry, and provided solutions. I do hope you have resolved your issue with the request for blocking of data, though.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
I was just trying to delete my posts. There was no other way that I can see and there is no way of contacting for help. 611 always requires to be paid for every time I talk to a rep.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

One of the purposes of this Neighbourhood is to leave a record of problems and solutions so others can learn. Removing the text means future readers do not benefit from your description, nor can they fully benefit from the solutions provided. It is also, as I stated, a disservice to the volunteers who took time from their day in an attempt to provide you solutions.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Guardian

@findmydream wrote:
I was just trying to delete my posts. There was no other way that I can see and there is no way of contacting for help. 611 always requires to be paid for every time I talk to a rep.

It needs to be clarified for the benefit of everyone reading your post that airtime for calling *611 is not chargeable if you are on the TELUS network. You can also get customer service from a landline by calling 1-866-558-2273.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Also, Telus does not charge for interacting with a rep through any of their contact methods. There may be fees associated with changes made to plans, but not for the conversation.
NFtoBC