Getting unique scammer calls

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

For the last 5 months or so I've been receiving large numbers of spam/scam calls on my Telus mobility number. The interesting thing is these are all unique caller ids which are never repeated. So those 150 or so caller ids in my cell phone book with silent ringer assignments do me no good.

The other interesting thing is they are all from my own "403-878" phone prefix. That is to say every call is 403-878-(random 4 digits). Those I am able to answer are either immediate hang ups (roughly 60%) or calls pretending to be from Westjet or Telus with a recorded voice saying I have won a cruise or free tickets, "press 1 for more info". I haven't yet pressed "1" but I will soon just in the hope I get to yell at one of these sub-humans. No voicemail messages are ever left.

Now this is bad enough when you are getting 6 or 7 of these every week (sometimes 3 a day) and paying for them and sometimes having to go to considerable effort to answer the cell ... but it's now mutated to something worse - now I'm starting to get callbacks from real people asking me why I just called them! I haven't even touched my phone so it is not possible for me to have accidentally dialed them. 

These people have 403-878-xxxx numbers like mine and it appears that my cell number is now being spoofed as the caller id. I suspect the only recourse is to change my cell number that I've had for more than a decade but just in case there is a solution I'd love to hear it. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's quite common actually. I get those quite regularly on my phone and they are all starting with the same prefix as my own phone number also. The scammers are basically spoofing the caller ID. The people that own those numbers that appear on your screen aren't actually calling you. They can appear as your number when calling others quite easily also.

Currently, without a fundamental redesign of the caller ID systems, there's nothing we can really do about this issue. We can try report the calls but nothing ever comes of it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Resident

That's terrible! I haven't had anything like that happen to me and I'd hate to be in a similar situation. It's a good thing you brought this up because I realized such calls are possible. I wonder how was the caller able to use your phone number? Is it legal? Did you report this to your telephone service provider? Is there something they can do about the problem? 

Highlighted
Resident

I did a little research and found this article https://www.callercenter.com/blg/articles/spoofing-caller-ids/ that explains how callers spoof caller IDs. I'm surprised that it's rather easily done. And is it true that it's actually some telephone companies that provide the tool to facilitate spoofing?

Highlighted
Guardian
Yes, it's easily done and the telcos actually do support this capability for legitimate reasons. For instance a business with many individual lines internally wants to have the call display number as the company main line for all outgoing calls. Having said that, there really should be some checks and bounds to how they can be used. It sucks that the scammers are exploiting this.
Highlighted
Guardian
Highlighted
Resident

Thanks for the responses, I've learned a lot. I guess I just have to get used to life in this century because it sounds like these scams are going to be around for a very long time. The phone companys aren't going to do anything about it, reference http://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/Fake-quot-Telus-quot-Vacation-Scammers-calling-me-repeat... . Though I admit it would please me a little to have someone confirm that Rogers and Bell customers also have to deal with this crap. 

Since my cell number is now one of the many spoofed numbers, today I got another call from someone demanding to know why I just called him. I tried to explain spoofed numbers etc. but it didn't seem to work with him - "That's just BS, you better not call me again!" Nice, thanks Telus for helping me appear to be the A**hole. 

I can't help thinking that if indeed this is affecting a large proportion of customers something would have to be done about it. I don't think many Telus customers would be as patient as me now that it's evolved into harassment territory. Yes I could change my number, in fact I think I will eventually have no choice. That is going to be a huge pain given that I've had it so long. I wish there was an (Android) app that could redirect any call that isn't one of my existing contacts to a silent ring tone or, better yet, allow me to assign a range of numbers that meet that criteria which so far is strictly 403-878-xxxx. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Susido wrote:
I wish there was an (Android) app that could redirect any call that isn't one of my existing contacts to a silent ring tone or, better yet, allow me to assign a range of numbers that meet that criteria which so far is strictly 403-878-xxxx. 

Under sound in settings, In quiet hours, bypass quiet hours.   Set quiet hours to 24/7. Set a short cut if needed to toggle off temporarily.

The below depending on your phones features.

Settings>Device>Blocking Mode.
Set time to always
Set Allowed contacts to All Contacts.

SMS>Settings>More>Spam Message Settings>Click Spam Settings and Click Block Unknown Senders.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I know it's more than just Telus customers. Phone numbers are portable so people move between providers with them often. I'm sure the scammers are able to identify which numbers are mobile (the prefixes are even in wikipedia) which would explain why my landline never gets the calls.

My number was originally with Rogers and I still get the same calls I did then now that I'm on Telus. It's all programmed into an auto dialer. No human interaction is involved when they call us. Plus if they are calling from outside Canada, there is nothing legally that can be done either which is why the Do Not Call list is a big waste of time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

In my neck of the woods, many, but not all of the Telus prefixes may be either landline or mobile, and seems more an issue of the provider. Telus, Bell and Rogers each seem to have their own prefixes. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"