False misrepresentation

Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
I went to the store 13 days ago because i had lost my phone, that was at the end of it's plan, and i needed a new phone anyways. I run a business, i have my number printed on all my usuness cards and materials. My old plan was through a different account holder, my old employers who owed me 5g's and got me the phone as partial compensation. I needed a phone now but needed my old number. Someone at the store level at tillicum mall (adam). I have a screenshot of the review i did of his services that confirms my side of the story.
While i was there, adam had told me that i have 14 days to get the care package/warranty thing for an extra $10 a month. When i went to call telus tonight i was informed that i have 60 days and that it is $9 and that i HAVE TO GO IN TO THE STORE" to get that activated. I was not told that by Adam. Anyways getting back to the issue that is pissing me off. Adam told me that i couldnt keep my old number unless i did the transfer right away, thus removing any chance of locating my old device that i had lost. Otherwise i shouldnt get the new phone until i am ready (which is unacceptable to a business owner that relies on a cell phone to work). I found the answer unsatisfactory and this picked up the phone in store to contact telus directly. I was informed that it could be done and that i should get the phone. So i got it with a new number.

Now i am getting told a different story. I am not making new business cards. And i am not going to tolerate a "no, we cant do that".
Community Power User
Community Power User

Was it your Note 9 that was lost? The one you said in another post, that you got on a NEW plan mere days before you said this issue arose?

Phone numbers can only be attached to one mobile device at this point in time. Most stolen or lost phones are never recovered. If you are a business owner and need that phone number to be able to reach you, you'll need to make a decision quickly. I'm surprised you haven't moved the number already if it's that important to your business. You're also lucky Telus was willing to move the number for you since the account and number are under someone elses name.

Syaoran
Ambassador

A device can be blacklisted, which means it can't be used on other carriers in the US and Canada.  If you purchased the device from Telus, then blacklisting that device should be an easy option.  Recovering the phone should have been secondary to reclaiming your number.  Telus could have deactivated the SIM right away and put that number on a new SIM for you.  

With most stolen phones, they are either used for parts or shipped overseas where the IMEI and serial number blacklists don't apply.  It might turn up on Ebay, Kijiji, or some other site being sold to someone looking for a deal that will ultimately get shafted for purchasing it.  Under very knowledgeable circumstances, a devices IMEI and serial number can be changed.  Regardless of what happened to your device though, it is more than likely gone for good.  

Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
Did anybody actually read? I dont care anymore about recovering the device i want my damned number. I was told one story by telus and now i am being told another. This needs to be fixed else i will file a suit for damages.
Community Power User
Community Power User

You have already stated the account, and number are in another person’s name. The proper process to address this is a Transfer of Owner, where the party owning the account releases it to you. If you still have a working relationship with this individual, this is the easiest way to go. If not, it may be impossible to transfer the number, as Telus CANNOT release the number without the account owner’s permission.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
I have the account owners permission.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Then you need to take/ send that information, in written form, together with the Transfer of Ownership documentation to Telus to effect the transfer. I suggest contacting Telus directly, not through an intermediary such as a retail employee.

NFtoBC
Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
That already happened but i want the plan i've got now, as opposed to the one on the old acct. There's no outstanding balance on the old acct. Im just going to port the number to a different company and then port it back. Perhaps 7/11 phone. Ir's bs that ks the only way to do it that way, plus a waste of money

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, the only ways to transfer a number from one plan to another is to port or to switch the existing plan to a currently available plan. You can’t simply move a number across plans held by an individual.

NFtoBC
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

You are the one who came to Telus with an odd situation. It is up to you to fix it, not them.  I don't know why you would make your business known with a number that's not assigned to you.  

There are processes and procedures to follow when transferring a number from someone else's account to yours.

Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
The plan i have is currently available. That's the one that i want. But now i am being told to cancel my contract and then get the account transferred. I do not care what their process is, there is no reason why their lunacy and contradicting statements should result in my headaches and having to spend extra time, energy and money solving.

Community Power User
Community Power User
But now i am being told to cancel my contract and then get the account transferred. I do not care what their process is, 

Problem is, you said it is not your contract as it was through a different account holder. It just doesn't make sense that you're using someone elses plan to run your business phone, especially since businesses can usually claim something like that as a business expense on taxes. Not having the plan under the business name / your name, means you're losing out.

there is no reason why their lunacy and contradicting statements should result in my headaches and having to spend extra time, energy and money solving.

If the cell account / plan was under your name or the busineses name to begin with, you wouldn't have to spend any extra time, energy or money (aside from the cost of the phone). Typically if you get a new phone you end up having to get a new plan unless you are paying for the new phone in full, up front.

jrueger
Advocate

Reading all the posts in thread was quite humorous and brightened my Sunday morning.  Remember it was you who lost your phone - not Telus.  Why you would expect Telus to bend over backwards to remedy your self inflicted situation is a bit beyond me.  Business is business and if you want to keep Telus as your cell service provider I guess you have to follow their procedures.  As a customer you are free to take your business elsewhere.  As a business owner you are also free to choose whatever products and services you need to run your business - and in this case you probably need to improve your selection of services to make sure that you can continue to operate your business.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Stealthc wrote:
The plan i have is currently available. That's the one that i want. But now i am being told to cancel my contract and then get the account transferred. I do not care what their process is, there is no reason why their lunacy and contradicting statements should result in my headaches and having to spend extra time, energy and money solving.

Then complete a Transfer of Ownership, and once complete choose the plan you wish for that account, place the SIM of the transferred account in your phone, and cancel the account you have now. End result, you have the phone number you want, the phone you want and th plan you want.

NFtoBC
Stealthc
Friendly Neighbour
It is my contract. The old number is on travis' account. The new note 9 i got is on my own account on my own contract because k have a business to run and require data for google maps and other things.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Stealthc wrote:
It is my contract. The old number is on travis' account. 

So, you will need to complete a Transfer of Ownership to obtain that number because currently it 'belongs' to Travis.

The new note 9 i got is on my own account on my own contract because k have a business to run and require data for google maps and other things.

And when you have moved the number Travis has to an account of your own, you can drop that account.

NFtoBC