EARLY Pre-Auth payment withdrawals!!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

MosaicEnergy
Resident

I just received an e-mail notice stating that pre-auth payments will be withdrawn 10-11 days before the due date??  Really??  Due Date is due date.  AND then you say the bills are coming in at the same time and we'll get 2 withdrawals on the same bank statment!  really???  No other utility service company does that?  If this was for a senior in a nursing home on a fixed income you want them to pay 2 times in one month?  really??  This just makes the argument to move to Bell even more appealing

MP5
Resident

This is all in an effort for Telus to save a bit of money.  

I'm pretty upset at this as well, but if that savings were to be shared with the customers, it might change my mind.

v9
Rockstar

2-Withdrawals a month in the same bank, unbelievable! "MosaicEnergy" well don't takeMe wrong, but are you looking for support or you just, want the forum membership to be award of this issue. When you signed up for "Pre-authorized payments" wether it was through an internet form or by a Telus agent the terms & conditions, must have been

explained to you, before signed up.

In Any case the wise decision is to "Cancel" your 'PAP' Telus can't oppose it to do that and pay your bills through, your online bank or by check. All what you've to do is contact a Telus agent by phone or log in its website and try the "Chat"

session. Call anytime & report results to forum.. Good luck!  <Bye>  "v9"

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
xray
Rockstar

I never ever set up pre-auth payments for anything. Manually paying bills every month forces me to review all charges and to be aware of how much my expenses are.

Just about every bill can be paid through your online bank account so it doesn't take much time. It allows me to pay all my bills when I choose to pay them which is usually one day before they are due.

I also try to minimize the number of place that store my credit card info as a security precaution.

Hi MosaicEneregy, as Xray and V9 mentioned there are alternatives to using PAP. A small percentage of PAP customers may see two payments withdrawn in the same calendar month or credit card statement during the first month of alignment (ie. once at start of month and once at the end) leading them to think that they were double-billed but they are two separate months. Afterwhich, it will normalize.

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Happens once and then you are good to go...not sure what the big deal is.

iPhone power user
Highlighted
jbarr52003
Resident

I agree, Telus is using this as a way to increase profits. I cancelled my Preauthorized and next will cancell my phone with them and go with some company that means what they say. I get a notice my payment will be deducted on June 26 and then then go an deducted it on June 16. This is tandamount to stealing.

Ginnungagap
Ambassador

The date shifted earlier to allow customers to retry unsuccessful payments before the cycle closes; helping to avoid additional fees, interruptions in service, or impact to customers credit rating.

tobright
Resident

With the greatest amount of respect to those few customers that have pre-authorized payments refused by their banks, it is no reason whatsoever why the folks at Telus should be given an additional 10 additional days use of my money.  It is a nice gesture, but flawed.  Penalizing the entire community to ensure that a few avoid fees that they rightly should be paying in light of their error is not logical.  Could there be another reason?

Although it seems like a small amount for each individual, just think of the amount that Telus will have in "float" for that ten days between when it is provided by the bank and when Telus expects it to be there.  Companies like American Express were built on the "float" between the payments for travelers cheques and when they were cashed.  What will Telus do with it?

If Telus uses the money to improve the network, customer service, or lower rates, good on them.  If not, it is just another cash grab disguised as helping customers.

xray
Rockstar
Good point @tobright. The percentage of customers bouncing their preauth payment surely must be too low to justify the policy.

I think a policy that selectively flags repeatedly late accounts for early payment might be warranted.
Most Helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Folks,

I thought I would jump in and provide some clarity around why we moved the pre-authorized payment date back.

In an effort to simplify our payment schedule and make it easier for our customers that have multiple services with us manage their bills, we are aligning payment withdrawal schedules across our residential and mobility lines of business. This change will give our customers 10+ days to update/change credit card and debit information or retry a payment without incurring additional fees. Here’s an example of what the change will look like:

Payment Method

Old Payment Schedule

New Payment Schedule (Bill issued after June 15, 2014)

Pre-Authorize Credit Card

Day 25 of billing cycle (0-1 days before final  due date)

Day 15 of billing cycle (10-11 days before final due date)

Pre-Authorize Debit

Day 21 of billing cycle (3-4 days before final due date)

Day 15 of billing cycle (10-11 days before final due date)

In a few cases, this change may result in a one-time occurrence of two months of your TELUS bill payments appearing on the same credit card statement. Rest assured that it is not a double charge but rather two payments for successive months of service.

We understand that some of our customers have chosen a specific bill cycle with a payment withdrawal date in mind. For these customers we are able to change your bill cycle so that the payment withdrawal date does not change.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them. 

tsizzle
Ambassador

Just want to make sure everyone caught a few facts in the above:

• You can change the date to whatever you want, if you preferred it being charged on the 26th vs. 16th, call them!
  • You're not double paying every month, its a one-time thing for *some* customers

While its easy to don tinfoil and scream time-value-of-money, they clearly did this for customer-centric reasons vs. financial and have provided you with an easy means of keeping your payment date *exactly* the same. 

xray
Rockstar
The alignment of the due date for all services is good. The one time possibility of a double (split) payment in the transition month is just accounting so it's a wash financially.

However, I'm not clear on whether the pre-authorized payments taken up to 10 days earlier than before is just on the transition bill or on every bill after June 15.
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@xray In the chart above, it looks like it is going to stay that way each month, hence why they are offering to move your bill cycle date if you want to keep the same withdrawl date. 

iPhone power user