Device Balance

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I currently have an Iphone 6 and would like to switch to the Samsung S7 Edge. My current device balance is $190.00 but i heard you can trade in old devices. I have a galaxy S4 to trade in and i'm wondering if i could use it towards my device balance? Help!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Trade-in values are often disappointing, and selling to someone looking for a phone is a better choice. Here is a rough guide to values.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Although @NFtoBC is correct for most devices there is a nice promo for S7 and S7 edge until January 3rd. Trade in any device that is valued at more than $0. So definitely an iphone 6 and you will get $200 towards the S7 or S7 edge for the upfront or your device balance. The iphone 6 depending on your memory is $140-$150 trade in value depending on wear and tear. This means that if the phone is at least working, it doesn't matter what it looks like just take it to store and you can trade it in. This will wipe out your device balance of $190 and you can get the S7 Edge at $0 if you were doing a premium plus plan or $150 if you were doing a smartphone plan for the 32gb of memory. So it is a nice little promotion. Hope that helps! The S7 edge is part of the boxing day sales which today is the last day though, so you might want to get on that today. The $200 trade in promo is good until january 3rd. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
Highlighted
Rockstar

As I understand trade-ins, the trade-in value is put toward lowering the new device balance, not toward paying the previous device balance. For example, my daughter took the 200.00 trade-in for her S4 when she renewed to get the S7. This 200.00 was deducted from the retail value of her new S7, in other words, toward reducing her NEW device balance, not wiping out her OLD device balance. She had to pay the old device balance before renewing. The trade-in did not cover the old device balance. Nor has it for anyone else I know who's used the trade-in offers. If the trade-in offers can be used to "wipe out" old device balances, please show me the information, and show others too, so they can take it to Telus and have their old device balances wiped out when they renew with a trade-in.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/trade-in-android-phone

"Trade-in credit must first be applied toward the cost of any new phone. Any remaining credit can then be used toward accessories only." iPhone is the same.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Lola

I expect @Mobility_Princess is referring to the fluidity of a monetary transaction. If the $200 from the trade-in is 'found money', then the application of it to the retail price of a new phone, effectively frees $200 from the pocket of the purchaser to pay down their device balance.  This does, of course, assume the purchaser is set to purchase the device at the non-discounted price, and the sale is icing on the cake!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Depending on how many gb of memory you chose for the S7 and whether there was a sale at the time of the S7 you are correct @Lola. The $200 trade in first goes towards the upfront cost of the phone. In this however, the S7 is $0. So there is no upfront cost that @rubbersoul77 is required pay. In that case then the $200 can be used towards his $190 device balance which will effectively wipe it out. But you are correct. The policy is that is must first be used towards however much the upfront cost of the device is, then it can be used towards the device balance 🙂 I think that's what @NFtoBC was saying too but, you lost me in all the big words there!

Mobility Client Care Rep
Highlighted
Rockstar

I understand what you're saying, @Mobility_Princess. You're saying that if the original poster buys a phone that's $0 down, he can use the trade-in value of his old phone to pay off his other//old device balance. But that's not what Telus says, not anywhere, so there's the confusion for me, because Telus states very clear in their literature that trade-in value can only be used towards retail products -- devices and accessories being the products -- a device balance is not a product. Anyway, I'm going to ask in-store next time I go in. I'll be fascinated to hear their response. Smiley Happy

@NFtoBC-- Yeah I thought that at first. But then I read the original post again and thought he wanted a way to pay it off without money,  and so I just assumed he didn't have the cash on hand, or didn't want to spend it if he had, because frankly, who wants to lay out 200.00 at this time of year. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Lola

@Lola wrote:

who wants to lay out 200.00 at this time of year. Smiley Very Happy

Some of my favourite gifts have been From me, To Me.  Lots o' Love. Me!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Rockstar

And @rubbersoul77, let us know if this trade deal works for you. It would be good information for other people to know. Fingers crossed for you.

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

oh amen to that! 

Mobility Client Care Rep