Data over ?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident
Every month I go over my data plan and need to pay extra. What is data and how do I go over it when I'm a stay at home mom? I have an iPhone 4S and have wireless Internet . I'm confused 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some thoughts....

• how big is your monthly data plan? 100mb?  How much extra data are you buying?
  • do you have wifi in the home? Are you using it?  Do you know how to enable wifi?  What happens if you turn off the cellular data?  Does the phone still work?
  • are you watching videos on your phone?
  • are you Skyping a lot?
  • does your email have images and/or large attachments?
  • what apps are you running in the background?  Mapping apps can continuallly run up charges while being stationary
  • are you running a VPN on your data plan?
  • too bad you don't have one of those old Blackberries. They offered 6 times compression to save you data fees.
  • do you have the mobile hot spot mode turned on?  Do you have security enabled?
  • if you check the Telus Mobility site, it will show you what time data charges are being consumed.  Hopefully this will give you an idea on where to investigate.
Highlighted
Resident
Hi your super helpful I've used 775 out of 1024mb. I don't know how to unable wifi . I look on fb and a few other sites. I will call telus in Monday . 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some iPhone users can consume 6gb each month.  I recommend you explore wifi if you are a heavy data user in the home.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Hi Christin! If you do now know how to connect to WiFi on your iPhone, I'd recommend calling your internet service provider. They should be able to walk you through how to connect and save on using your wireless data.