Data Usage

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Why is it that you can not update mobility users with more accurate data usage.  Rogers could update me every 4 hours with accurate data usage, and update me when I've used 80% of my Data. Telus updated me via text saying I've already racked up more than $7.00 in charges (after the fact) not before I was getting close to going over,  THANKS FOR THAT.  I check my usage withthe Telus app at 10:06 am and get a last updated at 12:17am usage amount.  I check again at 10:53 and I get a 2:08 am update?  Why if I am checking at 10:06 am am I getting a usage update at 12:17 and not 2:08 am if that was the last update?  And why am I using Data while I'm sleeping at home, and my phone is connected to Wi-Fi?  When I was with Rogers I barely ever had to worry about going over my 6GB a month but with Telus I have to carefully monitor my usage and limit what I do or I have been over almost every month.  Can someone please explain this to me?  I tell you one thing, as soon as my contract is up I am going back to Rogers.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Usage is usually pretty accurate and refreshed regularly, but you can also download data trackers apps to help monitor your usage. Try accessing your account from the website and see if it matches with the app. If not, try uninstall/reinstall the app.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Problem NOT solved, because I am on a "shared" plan because that is the only way you can get a 6gb data plan, and with a shared plan TELUS cannot for whatever reason is unable to send notifications until after you have incurred over $50 in charges.. 

I received a call from Telus, and was explained all this.  However it wasn't a solution to my problem, he was very helpful in suggesting 3rd part apps to monitor my data usage, and also one to tell me which apps were using how much data.  I was thankfull for that... however he was still not able to explain to me why at in the wee hours of the night when I am sleeping, 1:00, 3:00, 6:00 am am I seeing 0.16mb, and 0.23mb trickles of data being used every night at the same time for all 30 days.  This is again while I'm at home, sleeping, and on wifi.  shouldn't be using any data.

Highlighted
Most Helpful

Hi, I'm using a data monitor application, since it's inside the device, it doesn't need an update from Telus to keep track of my usage. Search in your application store to see if you can download one for your device.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Yes, I am too now.  This was suggested to me by a few users as well as the Telus rep.  No need for the Telus app now.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Highlighted
Most Helpful

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Usage is usually pretty accurate and refreshed regularly, but you can also download data trackers apps to help monitor your usage. Try accessing your account from the website and see if it matches with the app. If not, try uninstall/reinstall the app.

Highlighted
Neighbour
If by regularly you mean updated once every 24 hours then I'd say you would be correct. It's 9:18 am and it was last updated at 7pm yesterday. Also why should I pay for a data tracking app when another phone company can do the updates every 4 hours accurately. And you didn't answer why I don't get notifications when I've reached 80% of my data plan. Even though I've signed up for the notifications I am not getting them. But again within 24 hours of exceeding my plan they are quite happy to inform me I've incurred extra charges.
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Telus Data activity app is free.

Looking at Telus Mobility website is free and updated within an hour for me. Then again during roaming, some providers may delay releasing usage activities for several hours.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Same here. My data usage updates within an hour every time and most people I know do not have any issue either. There might be something wrong with your account, you should contact Telus to troubleshoot it, or as I said try uninstall/reinstall the app, if it doesn't match with your online account from the website. As for the data notification, it's a complimentary service and you should not rely solely on it. It can happen for many reasons that you may not receive the text, but then again, there might be something wrong with your account too.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Problem NOT solved, because I am on a "shared" plan because that is the only way you can get a 6gb data plan, and with a shared plan TELUS cannot for whatever reason is unable to send notifications until after you have incurred over $50 in charges.. 

I received a call from Telus, and was explained all this.  However it wasn't a solution to my problem, he was very helpful in suggesting 3rd part apps to monitor my data usage, and also one to tell me which apps were using how much data.  I was thankfull for that... however he was still not able to explain to me why at in the wee hours of the night when I am sleeping, 1:00, 3:00, 6:00 am am I seeing 0.16mb, and 0.23mb trickles of data being used every night at the same time for all 30 days.  This is again while I'm at home, sleeping, and on wifi.  shouldn't be using any data.

Highlighted
Most Helpful

Hi, I'm using a data monitor application, since it's inside the device, it doesn't need an update from Telus to keep track of my usage. Search in your application store to see if you can download one for your device.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Yes, I am too now.  This was suggested to me by a few users as well as the Telus rep.  No need for the Telus app now.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Highlighted
Organizer

Did everyone know that Facebook’s new auto-play feature can use up some data as well?

You can turn off the auto-play feature to wifi-only or off from your mobile device pretty easily.

iPhone: Settings > Facebook > Settings > Auto-play

photo.PNG

Android: Facebook > Setttings > Video Auto-play

Screenshot_2014-09-17-13-53-56.png