Charges for TXT to USA

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

HI, I notice on my latest bill $100 charge for txt to the USA.  I don't know anyone in the USA (except Barak Obama, and he never answers my txts!).  I believe this is incorrect because my kids live in Victoria and might be picked up by a USA carrier.

Is that a possibility?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Texts from Canada to a Canadian number even if they are travelling within the USA would be at your regular rates, the travelling recipient pays the extra costs, if any.  If you were visiting Victoria, and sent a bunch of texts without realizing you were in a US company's cellular footprint, then you would be billed for sending and receiving texts, unless you had a US roaming package (unlikely if you did not expect to travel to USA).

As nasty stated, call Telus to discuss the charges and possibility of reversing them if in error.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rockstar
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Texts from Canada to a Canadian number even if they are travelling within the USA would be at your regular rates, the travelling recipient pays the extra costs, if any.  If you were visiting Victoria, and sent a bunch of texts without realizing you were in a US company's cellular footprint, then you would be billed for sending and receiving texts, unless you had a US roaming package (unlikely if you did not expect to travel to USA).

As nasty stated, call Telus to discuss the charges and possibility of reversing them if in error.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Look carefully at your phone's carrier selection.  Is it set to "automatic"?  If so, change it to "manual".  Being near strong US broadcast towers is a huge liability.