cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for Long Distance (500m apart)

ALEXWB
Just Moved In
Wondering why I would ever be charged for long distance for a phone call made within a 1km radius. I have a 778 number and live in Vancouver, the other number is 204 but was in Vancouver as well. The CRTC definition of long distance is based on physical area, not area code where a phone may be registered. Any resources or information would be greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may be confusing land line definitions of long distance with mobility ones. The only definitions I've found on the CRTC were wireline related, not mobility. Mobile service has what are called home networks / coverage areas. They are the coverage area for a subscriber where calls are deemed local. Even if they travel somewhere else in the country, their home network / coverage area will remain the same - the address where their service is registered. 

204 is long distance to 778/604. The 204 person can make outbound local calls while in Vancouver but anyone calling 204 from the lower mainland will be calling long distance.

References:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/trav.htm

• Coverage area/home network: this is the geographical location where your phone has service (i.e., you can make calls) and you’re not being charged extra fees.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/dcs/glossaryT.htm

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may be confusing land line definitions of long distance with mobility ones. The only definitions I've found on the CRTC were wireline related, not mobility. Mobile service has what are called home networks / coverage areas. They are the coverage area for a subscriber where calls are deemed local. Even if they travel somewhere else in the country, their home network / coverage area will remain the same - the address where their service is registered. 

204 is long distance to 778/604. The 204 person can make outbound local calls while in Vancouver but anyone calling 204 from the lower mainland will be calling long distance.

References:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/trav.htm

• Coverage area/home network: this is the geographical location where your phone has service (i.e., you can make calls) and you’re not being charged extra fees.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/dcs/glossaryT.htm

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

The local calling area for a specific exchange consists of that exchange area plus other exchange areas to which local calls can be made from the specific exchange without incurring long distance charges. The LCA applies to wireline and wireless services. (source: CRTC Central Office Code (NXX) Assignment Guidelines )

All other definitions I can find also apply soley to geographic area the call is being made to and have no consideration for area code, which in today's day is ever-more fluid and even services like Google voice let you choose your own.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The local calling area does apply to wireless services.

• 204's local calling area for incoming calls is back home in Manitoba. That doesn't change when the cell phone is travelling in another province.
  • 204's local calling area for outbound calls will move with the device.

Only real solution is getting the CRTC to change their definition of the local calling area to cover all of Canada and essentially remove long distance within our borders. It likely won't happen soon as I suspect the phone companies enjoy getting the extra income from long distance calls.

I've had unlimited Canada (and US) wide calling for years, so "long distance' isn't an issue for me. On some plans, I believe I've seen the difference between that and "local" for as little as $5 per month.