Apparently blacklisted

Highlighted
Pjs
Resident
Hi there is bought a phone off kijiji and it is unlocked but was originally telus. I'm having issues with my service (another provider) saying the phones been reported stolen/lost how do I go about getting it cleared as I forked out 450 for this phone and am no further ahead
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The previous owner is the only one with the authority to remove a blacklist.

More information here.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's always a big risk when buying from sources online, especially kijiji type sites. You may be out of luck unless the seller is willing to refund your money for the phone.

Buying a phone? Verify the IMEI number as not stolen here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I would contact the seller and let them know you are reporting them to the police for selling you a stolen phone unless they have it removed from the blacklist or refund your money. If it's stolen and they are not the original owner, might scare them into giving you your money back. If they are the original owner and forgot they might hurry up and get it done. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
Arsalan
Resident
Hi there i purchased a samsung note 8 brand new sealed in march 2018 from individual of kijiji, as a gift for my mother for the price of $1100.
Phone worked perfectly first month april 2018 morning my mother reported she can't make calls.
I took it to a shop and they told me this was on contract with telus and imei is lock due to unpaid bills.
Only telus can help otherwise phone will not work in Canada.
I couldn't disheart my mother as she loved the phone so i purchased new one for her from store but i got cheated for $1100 and i believe in karma.
I called telus many times and waited for hours even choose option call back but never got a call.
I called samsung and shared imei and they even told me only telus can ask to clear..
I am sincerely requesting telus to please help me so i can use this phone.
Anaron
Connector

@Arsalan wrote:
Hi there i purchased a samsung note 8 brand new sealed in march 2018 from individual of kijiji, as a gift for my mother for the price of $1100.
Phone worked perfectly first month april 2018 morning my mother reported she can't make calls.
I took it to a shop and they told me this was on contract with telus and imei is lock due to unpaid bills.
Only telus can help otherwise phone will not work in Canada.
I couldn't disheart my mother as she loved the phone so i purchased new one for her from store but i got cheated for $1100 and i believe in karma.
I called telus many times and waited for hours even choose option call back but never got a call.
I called samsung and shared imei and they even told me only telus can ask to clear..
I am sincerely requesting telus to please help me so i can use this phone.

There is absolutely nothing that TELUS can do. Take it as a lesson to never buy a phone from anyone on Kijiji. It doesn't matter if it's brand new in box or used. The risk of being sold a phone that will later be black-listed is always there. It's an expensive lesson and one reason why I tell people to avoid buying a phone from anyone except for a trusted friend or family member.

Syaoran
Ambassador

Telus can't actually get a device removed from being blacklisted.  What they can do is offer you a discount on buying a new device.  Find someone in Customer Care that is sympathetic enough to give you a discount on a new device from Telus.  

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

It means said individual had it blacklisted, most likely an insurance scam (reported as lost/stolen).

Only them can get it removed from the blacklist.

So your best bet, at the moment, would be to sell it as a tablet (or use it as a fancy paperweight).

Phones (specifically new ones) should always be bought from reputable sources (retailers/corporate stores).