cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Plus Range Extender - Moving Networks

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
Hi everyone, I just re-joined Telus and have Internet 50 + the wifi plus range extender. I am wondering if there is a known issue with it not allowing seamless network switching, especially from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz? I am finding my devices (especially my wife's and my iPhones) searching for a network or not defaulting to the strongest one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Side question, does anyone know if the Actiontec v1200h broadcasts 5 Ghz as well or only 2.4? I saw on the Actiontec site that it's supposed to be multi-frequency, but I can't find an option. Thanks! GBG
5 REPLIES 5

SA
Advocate

To get seamless streaming you need a commercial router, not an ISP supplied one.

You may need to enable the 5GHz radio to see any options for it.

The best solution is to give a separate ssid to each band and use the one you're closest to.

I hope you're not walking and surfing on your phones in your home?  Walls, knees and toes have been know casualties.  🙂

Hi SA,

Thanks for the input. I thought the point of the WiFi Plus was to give seamless switching between routers? 

I tried the separate SSID, but that drove us nuts because unless the signal was completely toast, we'd have to manually switch. 

No walls, just routers at the opposite end of the house.

Nasty, thanks for your input, but it seems like more effort than it's worth.

Cheers!

GBG

nasty
Rockstar

@giantbrownguy wrote:
Side question, does anyone know if the Actiontec v1200h broadcasts 5 Ghz as well or only 2.4? I saw on the Actiontec site that it's supposed to be multi-frequency, but I can't find an option. Thanks! GBG

An ISP in the U.S.(TDS, T2200H is 802.11 a/b/g/n capable) is reported to have 5Ghz frequency active, but no word if Telus has it on the T1200H/T2200H mother board or if its just not active in the current Telus firmware.

A gentle screwdriver will help resolve the question. Cat Tongue

Port1 bridge will allow the end user to use their own AC router without the nightmare of doubleNAT and other poop from a restrictive ISP gateway.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I was having range problems with my router at the outskirts of my home.... then I got these antennas.  Signals are so clear without needing repeaters and their handoff delays.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-TL-WR1043ND-WHR-HP-G300N/dp/B00KQ0EN2A/ref=sr_1_1

The antennas are 3 times bigger than the stock OEM antennas and need help when tilted to the side.

Bargain compared to the 15dbi brothers...

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-TL-WR1043ND-WZR-HP-G450H/dp/B00L2E4M20/ref=sr_1_48

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!