Telus How About Free Speed Upgrades

WellMade
Helpful Neighbour

I see shawcable is offering speed increases to all customers and Telus is offering nothing why is that ?

Community Power User
Community Power User

If I understand the terminology, there was a software update to Shaw’s equipment which allowed a doubling of download speeds, without them needing to change hardware. Thus, although they have made a big deal of this, it was not only a no cost option for them, it was also easily and automatically available to all users without individual inputs. Shaw is not doing this out of the goodness of their curmudgeonly hearts.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User
If Shaw did do it out of the goodness of their heart. Upload speed would have been increased, but alas they’re still stuck in 2001.
WellMade
Helpful Neighbour

Shaw is just reflashing customers cable modems with a higher speed it's not software .My has shaw and he now has 650MB down and 40MB up for free .Why is telus not giving everyone a speed increase from 150MB to 300MB and 300MB to 750MB free .With all the problems i having with tv and internet and there customer service is horrible .fast forward only works half the time and internet speed varies with time of day .

jag_rana
Connector

Just my take.

@NFtoBC wrote:

If I understand the terminology, there was a software update to Shaw’s equipment which allowed a doubling of download speeds, without them needing to change hardware. Thus, although they have made a big deal of this, it was not only a no cost option for them, it was also easily and automatically available to all users without individual inputs. Shaw is not doing this out of the goodness of their curmudgeonly hearts.

While I see what you are getting at I think that's a very loose argument. Shaw could have easily just made another product, much like Telus did in this case and charged more for it. Instead they upgraded everyone. Now I doubt they did it out of the goodness of their hearts, no company ever does that, but this was probably a competitive move for them.

I would say Telus' response to it was not much of a response.

Sure the upload is way faster on Telus but in my case I do a lot more uploading then downloading to notice.

jag_rana
Connector
I mentioned to say alot more downloading then uploading lol.