cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Scam

kmort51
Just Moved In

I was victimized by an internet scam involving an unauthorized "Survey" company posing as conducting a survey for Telus ... once you completed the survey there was an offer for an appreciation gift.

Because it was from TELUS I did not investigate thoroughly enough and went along with receiving the "gift" .... short story ... I lost $180.

I see the same scam is circulating again as a "September Survey for Telus Customers" and wish TELUS would send out a warning email to their customers or at minimum post an alert statement on their website advising their customers of the scam.

Has anyone else seen the messages and fallen for this scam?

28 REPLIES 28

It's the same thing as when you open an internet browser and a fake pop up that Telus user or Shaw user and tries to scare you into thinking that you've been caught illegally downloading things and you need to "click on this link" to not be disconnected. They're just guessing and using a company's name. It has nothing to do with the company they are naming. 

Mobility Client Care Rep

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

2016 - BBB Warns Shoppers to Beware Trial Offers and Subscriptions

Telus isn't involved with this scam. This type of scam plagues tons of different websites and companies. The scammers just make the messages look like they come from various companies (very, very old tactic) and users just don't look close enough to spot the signs of it being a scam. The long list of companies involved in this type of "trial offer" all have similar terms of service, which nearly no one seems to read, which is how they get burned by these scams. I've seen complaints that are over a year old for this type of scam.

Beatedeelle, Luxomer, Revonolla are all owned by the same parent company. Says it right at the top of the terms for each of their websites. All based in Cyprus. All with the same return addresses. Revoluxe, Stemologica, etc have different parent companies but same return address as the others. All of these are involved in the same type of trial scam. There are even more. Easiest way to spot one, other than actually reading the terms of service would be the return address of 41 Parr Blvd, Bolton ON, L7E 4E3.

@Ron_T_R - If you read the terms from youngskincareforyou, it spells it out clearly in the first couple lines alone about the fee structure and what, and when, you'll be charged.

TL;DR - Avoid trial offers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

What really pissed me off was that they were intercepting my web traffic stream

and so I agree with the person who wrote:

and wish TELUS would send out a warning email to their customers or at minimum post an alert statement on their website advising their customers of the scam

my mother just fell victim to the same scam.  she is out hundreds of dollars.  the part that gets me is that she never gave out her credit card number, not during the fake survey, not as part of the agreement to pay for shipping..

she never typed it in online.

so then, how did they get her credit card information?

I realize that this is not TELUS's fault.  but the idea of sending a warning to the customers - yes again!! - to say that this is happening, again!! should be the least that they could do.  My mother does not trust the internet.  she won't do her banking online.  she won't go to look at her TELUS account online.  she pays her TELUS bill in person, at the bank, with a cheque.  she would NEVER EVER put her credit card on line.  So that is the part that I don't get.

How could you fall for such a thing! TELUS WOULD NEVER DO THAT!

McKay
Just Moved In

I just received a pop up with the survey from Telus and the offer of a gift - the top gift was iPhone X 

I started filling out my contact info and thought hmmm this seems too good to be true. So I googled about this and asked if it was a scam and it took me to your very helpful post on this Neighborhood site that I didn't even know about! Thank you for posting this info! You saved me from the same demise.

I don't know why they have 'Like' buttons on each post - how can you like a post when the subject you are discussing is so blatantly deceptive - the survey seems to be going around again - just got another popup - but also, how can these bogus web sites intercept a https stream? - I thought that was the whole idea of https - get rid of the mitm attacks like these.  All I can say is never answer a web survey under any conditions - it will turn out to be a scam even if it seems legit to begin with.

Possibly a telus network engineer can explain to us how these bogus sites are intercepting their secure traffic stream - especially if the network I am accessing my account from is the Telus network itself - sounds like someone is getting paid to ignore this issue

Disappointed2
Just Moved In

Yes I have been caught in this scam. I also agree that Telus should put a warning up the let us, the customers, know that this is happening to us. It makes me wonder how concerned they are that anyone can find us to send out e-mails.  I am a old fool again for trusting Telus to help in any way.