Mobility

Trusted answers and information about Mobility devices, services, and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Wi-Fi Assist

Community Manager
  • Contributors:

What is Wi-Fi Assist

Wi-Fi Assist is a new feature included with the iOS 9 update. It optimizes the hand-off between Wi-Fi and cellular data network.

In the past, when a device leaves the effective range of a Wi-Fi network, it would try to cling onto the Wi-Fi network for as long as it can, even when the Wi-Fi signal became too weak to be effective. The user would have two choices, either turn Wi-Fi off, or wait until the device is completely out of range and switches to cellular data network.

How does Wi-Fi Assist work

Wi-Fi Assist regularly checks your Wi-Fi connection to determine signal strength. If the Wi-Fi signal performance drops, Wi-Fi Assist automatically switches to a cellular data connection until the Wi-Fi signal improves. By doing so, the hand-off between your Wi-Fi and cellular data would be automatic and smooth.

How to turn it ON/OFF

First, update your eligible Apple device to iOS 9. After the update, Wi-Fi Assist is turned on by default. Once enabled, it operates in the background automatically.

You can turn it on/off anytime by follow these steps.

1. Tap Settings
  2. Tap Cellular
  3. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page
  4. Turn Wi-Fi Assist ON/OFF

Wi-Fi Assist & cellular data usage

If you are frequently in an area with poor Wi-Fi coverage, the Wi-Fi Assist feature could switch your device from Wi-Fi to cellular data more often to provide the best data network experience.  And with increased exposure to the cellular data network, your device could utilize more cellular data usages than before.

For tips on managing data usage on iOS, click here

Eligible devices

iPhone

• iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 5

iPad

• iPad Air (1st and 2nd generation)
  • iPad (4th generation)
  • iPad mini with Retina display (2nd generation)
  • iPad mini (3rd generation)

The following devices can be upgraded to iOS 9, however, Wi-Fi Assist option will not be available

• iPhone 4s
  • iPad mini
  • iPad (2nd and 3rd generation)

Know more

• Wi-Fi Assist does not activate for some third-party apps that might use large amounts of data. For example, apps with audio or video streaming functionality, or email apps with attachments download feature.
  • If you are data roaming outside of Canada, Wi-Fi Assist would not automatically switch to cellular for data connection. 
Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hmm.... switching to cellular if the wifi is weak...

Sound kinda dangerous when watching video.  You think you are wifi... you check you are on wifi.  But in the background it switches to cellular if the wifi is weak.

I was watching a video one day in the laundry room. I was on wifi, but my phone switched to cellular for the last hour.  Ooops... that quickly drained my monthly allotment.

There was another situation where a traveler was in a hotel with wifi.... the phone switched to cellular when they walked into a deadzone.  She had a huge roaming charge bill in the thousands when she got home!

Not sure I want this wifi assist.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hi @xl ! It's true, it may be best to disable WiFi assist if cellular data usage is a concern. It's mainly there for as "seamless" an experience as possible. But given how devices can sometimes switch from WiFi to Cellular if the connection is weak or there is no response from the servers, it can be a roll of the dice when it comes to how much cellular data it will use! Robot surprised