Wireless Public Alerting (WPA) national test scheduled for November 28, 2018

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

A national test of Alert Ready, Canada’s emergency alerting system, is scheduled for November 28, 2018. Test alerts will be broadcast on television, radio and compatible wireless devices at 1:55 PM local time in each province and territory, except 2:55 PM local time in Quebec.

Each provincial and territorial emergency management organization will be issuing public test messages through Alert Ready. Each province and territory will issue one test message to be distributed over television, radio and to compatible wireless devices. This will be the second live Alert Ready national test this year. The first occurred during Emergency Preparedness Week in May 2018.

The Alert Ready system was developed with many partners including federal, provincial, and territorial emergency management officials, the Weather Network, the broadcasting industry and wireless service providers. It has enabled government authorities to deliver emergency alerts to Canadians during threat-to-life situations over television and radio since 2015, and to compatible wireless devices since April 2018. A national test will provide an opportunity to validate the end-to-end performance and reliability of the system everywhere in Canada.

For a device to receive WPA alerts the following conditions need to be met:

• Compatible LTE device
  • Latest OS software version for the compatible LTE device
  • The compatible LTE device must be connected to the LTE network at the time of the alert

NOTE: As mandated by the CRTC, you cannot opt out of receiving threat-to-life emergency alerts.

For more information, visit alertready.ca

Some helpful links from TELUS Support pages:

What is Wireless Public Alerting / Alert Ready?

List of compatible LTE devices

What do Wireless Public Alerts look like?

Wireless Public Alerting FAQ

Syaoran
Ambassador

To remove and or disable this annoyance on Android is easy enough to accomplish.  

EmilyB
Resident

For the 2nd time, I did not receive an emergency alert on my iPhone nor on my TV.

whats happening?

Meowmix
Connector
I received it on my Apple Watch Series 4 and on my iPhone Xs Max with Telus at 1:55pm. Easy enough to cancel.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@EmilyB wrote:

For the 2nd time, I did not receive an emergency alert on my iPhone nor on my TV.

whats happening?

What channel were you watching on the TV? We saw it a number of times as we switched channels to local broadcasters across the country. Saw the NL, NB, ON and AB alerts. Had we been watching a US channel, we would not have seen the alert.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
EmilyB
Resident

I was watching CBC news channel 800

Community Power User
Community Power User

Channel 800 SHOULD have broadcast at 1:55 EST. The broadcast is by TV channel, not by Telus, so each broadcast area provides the info at their own time zone.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"