WIFI hot spot TELUS passpoint

SC
Helpful Neighbour

Lately I noticed WIFI hot spots called TELUS Passpoint.  Anybody know what it is?

BillTelusCust
Advisor

SC
Helpful Neighbour
I was hopping someone within TELUS would answer that.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

SC wrote:
I was hopping someone within TELUS would answer that.

The Neighbourhood is populated by Telus customers for the most part. Telus employees jump in on very rare occasions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BillTelusCust
Advisor

Was my answer not sufficiently informative for you?  “Passpoint” is not a Telus trademark, it is a term referring to another thing called “Wi Fi 2.0. I answered because I knew what it was.

If you want Telus to answer your questions, call 611 and ask them.  Good luck with that, I’m pretty sure it will be awhile before you run into someone that is aware of what it even is, it isn’t widely known.

If you are going to ask questions in a forum, perhaps you should be more concerned with how correct they are rather than who is answering them.  A lot of people here know a lot of things, and you can learn quite a bit that you might not otherwise find out.

SC
Helpful Neighbour

Sorry I have offended you.  It was not my intention. The reason I asked is that because the name TELUS was in the SSID, I thought someone in Telus would tell me what they are doing with it.  I was missing the old #TELUSdirect SSID which Telus deployed for a while a few years back.

Thanks for your answer and I apologize offending you unintentionally.

BillTelusCust
Advisor

Thank you for your response, it is appreciated.  Admittedly, I was not pleased about this issue.

I would like an encrypted solution too, so if Telus is bringing the "Passpoint" solution, that is better.

Shaw's passpoint solution has two flaws.  The first one I will mention is that they do not have passpoint in each and every one of their locations, and on my iphone, i would connect to ShawOpen rather than passpoint, so I had to remove ShawOpen from the list.

The second problem with Shaw's implementation is the lack of any discernable internet speed at many of their locations.  (If anyone takes issue with this, I have taken and retained speed tests as proof).  The second issue is a serious impediment as the phone does not function properly many times.

Community Power User
Community Power User

One of the issues of Telusdirect was the automatic connection to that Wi-Fi mid stream. Folks walking along the street using their phone would suddenly have the task occupying them at the time suddenly stop, as there was a Wi-Fi network suddenly available, but no appropriate handoff. Hopefully PassPoint will properly handoff to users when a switch occurs.

NFtoBC
SC
Helpful Neighbour

I do not know much about WIFI, but wouldn't other WIFI SSids like #telus cause the same problem?

BillTelusCust
Advisor

In a word, yes.  There are two issues.  One the threshold that would require a significantly strong wi fi signal to cut over. rather than cutting over at about one bar, which we currently have.  The second issue, is when there is the presence of a strong wi fi signal, is the internet connection of sufficient bandwidth to function.  Sadly, in the case of many hotspots, and I count a significant portion of Shaw's in this category (speedtest results available), the phone does not recognize ultra slow connections as viable and it all just hangs.  I've not yet been on a Telus hotspot that is too slow to use as a connection. That said, it could happen, but they appear to maintain some level of workable connectivity, so the first problem (which is more the mobile device) will still be an issue at Telus and probably not the second.

Although I may sound harsh towards Shaw on this issue, it is because I have in fact repeatedly brought it up with them and received unsatisfactory responses (and not resolution).

Community Power User
Community Power User

SC wrote:

I do not know much about WIFI, but wouldn't other WIFI SSids like #telus cause the same problem?

Not in the same way. The TelusDirect hotspot was coded into all Telus phones, and you could not exclude (forget) the connection from your list of Wi-Fi connections. Thus, you had to turn Wi-Fi off entirely, or put up with the interruptions. At least with the current situation, you can choose not to include the Telus SSID in your list of available Wi-Fi networks.

NFtoBC
BillTelusCust
Advisor

Although you are correct, the net result is somewhat the same, to have it work automatically you will get the "drive by" problem, and otherwise you have to shut something off.  Forgetting and remembering the network might be more cumbersome than turning on and off wi fi.

Perhaps some of this research money the carriers are spending could be used to alleviate this issue.

SC
Helpful Neighbour

The interruption will always happen unless you switch off WIFI or the cell phone software remains on cellular once connection is established.  It would be very expensive if not impossible to have a smooth hand over between cellular and WIFI hot spots.

Anyway, this should be a discussion on a different thread.

BillTelusCust
Advisor

Handovers happen between VoLTE and 3G. Handovers happen between Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE.  Handovers happen between cell sites.  So they already have a smooth handover between robust hotspots and cell sites..  We don't currently have it go from VoLTE to hotspots.  The problem here is the "data" portion that switches and then hangs when the phone is unable to get data.

This can be mitigated on an iphone by turning on "mobile assist" which will route data over mobile networks when you are connected to wi fi and the wi fi isn't robust.  We just don't have a lot of adjustments for it at the moments.

You have pronouncements about who should answer your posts.  You have pronouncements about how things are "expensive or impossible". And you have pronouncements about moving to another thread.

Why are you here?