Unlocking I phone 5 to use in Sochi

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

If I unlock my Iphone 5 and buy a nano card in Russia can people in Canada call or text me

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Yes, unlocking your phone will allow you to subscribe on a plan with Sochi's carrier and use their sim on your phone. You will be assigned a Sochi's phone number, which means people from Canada will be charged long distance for calling you. If you are a current Telus client, you can have your phone unlocked for 35$ charged on your next bill.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, but they will incur long distance charges to call your new number in Sochi. There may also be charges for international texts.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Do your research on that Russian SIM.  When I was in the USA, I discovered I was unable to call a Canadian numbers as the ATT SIM would only allow calls within the USA.

This is a SIM limitation, not the phone.  Got a Roam Mobility SIM that allows calls between both countries.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Yes, unlocking your phone will allow you to subscribe on a plan with Sochi's carrier and use their sim on your phone. You will be assigned a Sochi's phone number, which means people from Canada will be charged long distance for calling you. If you are a current Telus client, you can have your phone unlocked for 35$ charged on your next bill.

View solution in original post