cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring existing phone from Rogers to Telus - confirmation code

Terry2021
Helpful Neighbour

Hi, there. As the title says, I'm transferring my phone to Telus. Rogers sent me a text as to whether I wanted to change, which I replied yes. Have waited 2.5 hours and then turned my phone off and on. Then I replaced the sim card. When I did, a message came up that the phone is locked and I need a confirmation code. How is it sent and do I still need the Rogers sim card installed?

Thanks, Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's an ancient phone so you will have an additional problem. That phone came out before the CRTC banned carrier locking a device. It's most likely locked to the Rogers network. Normally they should be able to unlock it but I don't know how that works with flip phones. You may want to read through: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/unlocking-devices

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I assume you were trying to transfer (port) your phone number to Telus following the steps here? If you log in to your Telus account as listed in the steps, what does the transfer status say?

What is the exact wording on the locked message appearing on your phone? Also, which phone do you have?

One side note. Roger's website is down for maintenance at the present time. I do not know if that will affect the porting of a number from them to another carrier or not.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I had to go an agent over the phone to get to the point where I sent a reply to Rogers. No instructions in their reply.

When I tried turning off and on the phone, then replacing the sim card. The message with the Telus sim card is: "Invalid sim card. Network Lock". When I try to unlock it, the message is "You are able to sim unlock your phone. Entering the unlock code incorrectly 10 times will result in the permanent lock of your phone. Continue?". The third screen is "Your phone is locked. Unblock attempt 1 of 10" Unblock code" (with a box to enter the code).

I have a Samsung flip phone model number SGH-A997R. I want to check the status but there's no "Plans & Devices" link on my MyTelus ribbon. The only other way is to click the link on the Order Number on the e-mail sent by Telus.

I do have an outstanding balance from Rogers, so I wonder if that's the delay.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's an ancient phone so you will have an additional problem. That phone came out before the CRTC banned carrier locking a device. It's most likely locked to the Rogers network. Normally they should be able to unlock it but I don't know how that works with flip phones. You may want to read through: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/unlocking-devices

Looking at the link you sent, I have to have my account in good standing first. So, I'll pay the bill on Tuesday and contact Rogers. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I chatted with a Rogers staffer on Facebook Messenger. She found the IMEI number (it was 14 numbers instead of 15). Got the Unlock code and am now hooked up with Telus. Thanks for your help, Nighthawk. 😊

It's a Samsung Rugby 3 which was released in 2012 but Rogers should still be able to unlock it. I bought a Blackberry Bold 9780 back in 2010 from Rogers and in 2018 requested that they unlock it, which they did. As of December 2017, no carrier can sell locked phones in Canada.