cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Customer Service and billing errors

madivan7
Neighbour

Made the mistake of signing up for home and mobile services with Telus after speaking to a door to door Telus representative. Some family members also signed up at the time for home services. We were told our $70 connection fee would be waived and that we would be paying $40 a month for the phone plan. A few days later we had received no official contract confirming what we had signed up for and the app was showing that we had signed up for a plan at $85 a month. Our family members had also not received any confirmation of the services they agreed to. After spending hours between the two of us on the phone with Telus trying to get details confirmed with the promotions we were told we would be getting, the person who came to install the services for our family members showed up over an hour late only to tell them that the installation might not even be possible. We ended up cancelling our services only a few days after signing up because if Telus can’t even offer good and consistent service during the onboarding process I can’t imagine how terrible the issues must be for existing customers. To add to the frustration, it took almost two full hours on the phone to cancel our plans, and when our previous phone company put through the porting request to get our number moved back, Telus didn’t release the number for two days, preventing us from getting back into our other plan for that time. After finally getting that all sorted and confirming with Telus support that we would not be charged for anything or have any outstanding balances, and seeing that all of our accounts had been closed, we thought that would be the end of it -but no. This morning we wake up to an e-bill for over $90 for phone services and the activation fee that we were told had been waived. I was able to contact a Telus store to be put on the call back list for customer support because they’ve made it nearly impossible to accomplish this by calling their support line directly. I was then told by Telus support that the charges are valid because there was no note about the fee being waived, but that they would waive it if we agreed to sign up with them again because it’s still an active promotion. They did agree to waive the fees for phone usage when I brought up the CRTC, but insisted that nothing could be done for the connection fee unless the specific rep who sold the services to us put in a note about it. However, they have no way of providing the contact information for the rep because the door to door reps are considered private contractors. Despite it being pointed out that waiving the activation fee is incredibly common and Telus should be able to see if that promotion existed on the date we signed up, they insisted that they can’t do anything because they can’t take the customer’s word for it. Pretty ironic considering customers are expected to trust verbal agreements made with Telus without being provided a physical contract upfront. Thankfully we had thought to get our rep’s number so I was able to contact him and ask that it be corrected, but we are now pretty much at the mercy of someone who gets paid commission and will be able to see that we cancelled our services.

We agreed to sign up with Telus as new home owners because we were promised high quality service and efficiency and we have experienced the complete opposite. This has been an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience. I wish we had listened to people who had warned us about Telus to begin with.

2 REPLIES 2

F2c3t4i5
Neighbour

I feel your pain!  I’ve been trying to talk to a person for 2-3 days.  Don’t know how I reached someone to activate my phone but now I’ve got one AI saying I was charged for activation and a person saying I wasn’t.  Two different amounts for what I owe on my bill.  Life is good - can’t say the same for Telus

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hi @madivan7 we definitely want to help. Please send us a private message and we will be happy to help!

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.