cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus and RCS integration

TelusHatesRCS
Neighbour

Hello,

I have been looking forward to the idea of having SMS upgraded to RCS, it adds a whole list of features to the possible communication,

however Telus has been giving vague answers and have come up short on the promise of "Some time in 2018"

I would like an actual update on this, because all other carriers are already supporting it.

It's getting to the point where I will be switching providers.

55 REPLIES 55

If it is, they should say so.  But they didn't.   I'm done with them.

@Anonymous wrote:

What happens when you're in the United States with Rogers on Wi-Fi Calling and dial 911?
Where does it do? Does 911 in the US close to where you are pick up or does Canadian 911 pick up?

That might be the reason why TELUS doesn't allow it.

RCS and Wifi Calling are separate unrelated features. This thread is about RCS.

Point taken.

Maybe we should start a thread "Things Telus doesn't do but should"

DaveW11
Just Moved In

I just got the August security patch for my Samsung s10+, and now there's an update in my messages app I can't apply.

So there's a an orange 'N' just waiting for me every time I use my messages app that won't go away.

I'm definitely switching providers.

First it was raising my plan ($5 more than the other 2 companies)

Then it's charging $8 a day for roaming, while others charge $7.

There's also been a few weird moves they've pulled on billing.

The reason Telus is successful today is because while the other 2 companies were greedy years ago, Telus had good customer service, prices and were fair. Now the tables seemed to have turned. Oh well, I guess a good thing doesn't last forever.

You might want to check out what Bell is doing for their "roam better" where they throttle you after 500 megs a day when you are in the US effective in November, I think.

Prices for Apple lightning to mini RCA Audio adaptor that I saw recently in Canada:

Apple store       $10

Rogers store    $10

Source (Bell)    $12.95

Telus store      $14.95

As far as I am concerned, Telus started to go downhill right about the time they bought Clearnet.  

I wish they'd come around to the company they used to be.

jonbiemond
Just Moved In

I opened the Messages app on my Pixel 3 XL yesterday and was prompted to set it up. I've only been able to use RCS with other Pixel owners so far.

@jonbiemond wrote:

I've only been able to use RCS with other Pixel owners so far.

That's a given, RCS has to be available on both ends.

Or are you saying RCS is only working on Pixel but not with other RSC enabled phones?

@xray wrote:

@jonbiemond wrote:

I've only been able to use RCS with other Pixel owners so far.

That's a given, RCS has to be available on both ends.

Or are you saying RCS is only working on Pixel but not with other RSC enabled phones?

I'm saying that I'm do not know if any other phones beside Pixels are RCS enabled on Telus (or any other carrier).

@jonbiemond, sent you PM

I noticed that the feature was evailable on my OnePlus running LineageOS

Screenshot_20190906-120405_Messages.png

I enabled it and arranged to do a test with @jonbiemond. The test failed as regular SMS was used. Going back to the Chat setting in Messages it now shows as not available again.Smiley Frustrated

Tried it yesterday on my wife's LG G7 and it worked, we have tested it out and RCS is working well on her phone.

Work!

Telus pushed an update to my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ phone this weekend that adds RCS chat to the Samsung Messages app on the phone.  When I try to 'enable' the feature within the app I get a message saying "registration failed".  I called Telus tech support and they told me the Galaxy Note 10+ is not on their 'approved devices' list for RCS features.  So why did they bother to push a firmware upgrade that enabled the feature on my phone?

Been using it for a few week now. It foes work.

Just have to follow those step :

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/26/screw-your-carrier-heres-how-to-enable-rcs-in-the-messages-...

Does it work with Google Messages or Samsung Messages?

And with what device? I tried with a Note 9 to no avail.

Goodday,

Only work with Google messages.

I have the same issue on my Note10+, I hate that this update was even pushed despite not being able to activate chat features

Hi!

Yes, I tried both Google's and Telus's url in Messages to get RCS working for my Samsung S9, I was testing against someone on Bell network that does have RCS working correctly. It did not work for us, sadly.

The url is the same as listed earlier in this thread:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/31/screw-your-carrier-heres-how-to-enable-rcs-in-the-messages-...

Cheers,

Rod

dhuhtala
Friendly Neighbour
And what are they doing to get one of the top flagship phones in the world working with their services?

The RCS fo work. Install Google message and activate the feature in the app option. Will take 5 min before it is active.