So irritated with Telus

Tainted
Resident
Honestly **bleep** Telus... sorry I know its strong language but its how I honestly feel at this moment. And yes this is a bit of a rant but I really feel the need to vent and this seemed like a logical place to do so. To be fair its not just them its the general corporation mentality that is pissing me off but I had a very annoying time talking to them this morning so they get to be the target.

To start off I cannot recall the last time it didn't take 45 minutes to an hour to simply talk to someone at Telus Mobility support... customers first my ass what do they have 7-10 people working calls? btw not faulting the people that answer they have always been very kind and helpful but regardless after all that time waiting just to ask to be transferred to the customer loyalty department its nothing but frustration. Then after being transferred I basically said to them...

'Look I have been a loyal client of Telus Mobility for over a decade and now my wife who I also signed up around 4 years ago would like to get a new phone. And what I would like is to go to bestbuy pick up their current 0 dollar promotion on an S8 or S9 and continue with our existing relationship. You did this already for me a number of months back so I just want to ensure there will be no issues.'

To which I get the 'options' of upgrading our current plan by 25 dollars if we want the phone for free ( which we already pay 140 - 200 dollars a month depending on data overages for our two phones ), pay 200 or so dollars with a lesser upgraded plan, or if I really wanted to keep the same plan that I have had with them for as long as I can remember I could pay 600+ dollars for the phone out front.

Even then they upfront admit the 25 dollar 'upgrade' gains me nothing its simply so they can recoup the cost of the phone.. they actually expect me to believe they are paying retail for these phones? jesus how stupid do they think people are. Add to that in terms of profits its just greedy considering they put people into a two year contract and then they sure as hell don't drop that 25 dollars off your plan after the two years nope then its just net gain for them.... for the exact same thing I already have.

Oh but of course if I were to mention that 'insert other cell company' is running a better deal then they might be able to do something for me... I have an idea how about you just do something for me for being loyal for 10 years rather then only if you think I am finally so fed up that I will leave! And what is great is that as mentioned above I had this EXACT same argument with them earlier this year when my wife's phone broke and eventually they conceded and gave us an S8 with no changes to our current contract but I had to fight and yell at them for hours just to do it... and I am just sick and tired of it.

Loyalty to Telus feels like it means nothing they profess about how they are like family and how customers come first but in the end the best deals always go to new clients to draw them in and you have to fight with the very people you have been loyal to for over a decade just to be treated fairly... just **bleep** Telus so very much.

Thank you to anyone who made it through all that rant and have a wonderful day.. as for me I am going to share my frustration on any/all social media I can because I am sure I am not the only one out there who is tired of this treatment and then maybe go see if there are other companies out there with a bit more moral fiber then Telus seems to have these days.

EDIT - love their auto correct changed my curse word to **bleep** haha
Lola
Rockstar

I wouldn't call this a rant. I'd call it honest and polite criticism. It's good. I like it. I do see the family analogy as working tho; the Telus family is like my own, always grabbing money out of my wallet. Cat LOL It is frustrating to get kicked for being loyal. We treat dogs better. But Canadians are used to getting robbed. We roll our eyes and hand over our wallets without a fight, then we whine to the CRTC, and the CRTC goes on a bluff and blunder mission in our defense, with the result that we get robbed twice as hard in a different alley. And then we do it all over again. It's far too late in the game to change anything by complaining about it. Complaining is good for relieving stress tho, and so it should be done, best done while sipping spearmint tea, IMHO.  

Syaoran
Rockstar

I waited an hour and 9 minutes on hold yesterday afternoon to get someone.  It honestly is the biggest reason to ditch Telus.  The lack of customer service in a timely manor is a complete waste of time.  Especially when you call in, finally get someone, and they can't even help you!  

Lola
Rockstar

@Syaoran wrote:

I waited an hour and 9 minutes on hold yesterday afternoon to get someone.  It honestly is the biggest reason to ditch Telus.  The lack of customer service in a timely manor is a complete waste of time.  Especially when you call in, finally get someone, and they can't even help you!  

This, exactly. My son made the exact complaint to me the other day right before cancelling with Telus. He just couldn't stand it anymore. All he wanted to do was use his points, and after two weeks of trying and failing to get any help, he quit. The ignorance he described is astounding. It's become a farce. And a farce so bad even my family members who've worked for Telus for decades are moving. It's sad.

Highlighted
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

So basically, you are asking them to "give you money".

The reality is, if you want to stick with your legacy plan, you have to buy your own phones. 

If you want phones "through a plan" you have to go through the current plans.

It may not be what you wanted to hear, but that's how it is.  With all of them.  Not just Telus.

I don't particularly like how there are increases in rates either, but that's how it is.  I don't like that their support centers are, for a large part, overseas.  And I don't like how they do not allow WiFi calling from outside of Canada.  But they have more "easy roam" countries than anywhere else, and my phone works flawlessly.

My phones were purchased outright, from the Apple store.

I did call them about something last week.  I had to get them to "call me back".   Are the long hold times due to lack of customer services available, or from a whole bunch of people trying to get free phones?  I don't know.

MCNS
Resident

After so many years as a Telus customer, I, too, am soooo dissatisfied! Waited for well over an hour on hold today to be met with a “take it or leave it” attitude. I once felt that I got good value from my Telus mobility plan, but not any more. And they don’t even seem to care! 

Emjay
Resident

We’re new to Telus and had our first Customer Service experience. HORRENDOUS. It was a 1 hour and 50 minute wait time - told us 15 minute wait time when first answered and put on hold; they were only off by 95 minutes.  

We were with Rogers previously and though their Customer Service is far from great, we never had to wait that long.

MCNS
Resident

So why do we put up with the constant ratcheting up of monthly plan fees, with NO increased features? Telus has seriously lost sight of the importance of customer experience. The worst part is the “Don’t Care!” attitude from them. Time to move on, and I encourage others to do the same. 

Kimi
Connector

Telus couldn't care less about customer support , their lines have been jammed for the last ten years or so. They are too busy building condo towers instead 

Syaoran
Rockstar

The problem is, you really don't have much choice when it comes to moving on.  As someone who deals with a lot of companies regularly.  They all have their moments when they are more receptive to being more customer friendly.  When they offer more incentives to sure up their customer numbers, then it all goes down hill until enough leave that they need to do something to get those customers back.  With more and more cross-border travel being common and the competition in the US between the big 3 all having plans including Canada and unlimited data and roaming in Canada.  Until people completely give up on Canadian companies, they won't have any incentive to ever be customer centric 100% of the time.  

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

So your solution is for 30 some odd million Canadians to sign up with T-mobile and ditch their Canadian mobile carrier?

Unless you spend a goodly percentage of your use in the USA, the American service is, eventually, going to be shut off.  It isn't made to be primarily used in Canada, nor do they have the authority to sell mobile service in Canada - so whether they - or the Canadian carriers are the ones who notice this happening - the fact of the matter is that this is not a workable solution, nor is it likely to gain enough traction in order to change things.

I think it is true that there is a different mindset between the carriers in the USA and the ones in Canada.  Although I'm not sure what is needed to change this mindset, but I don't think American phones are the answer.  That's sort of like telling everyone to go and fill their gas tank in the USA.  Some do, but if it became the norm, a stop would be put to it.  Same thing with switching to American satellite providers, etc.  At the end of the day, we are Canadians, living in Canada, and have to deal with Canadian solutions.

A good start might be putting an end to Canadian carriers having "overseas" call support centers. Rogers and Shaw have theirs in Canada, I don't know where Bell's are, but I can tell you that although I have no problem with Filipinos or central Americans, I think the jobs should stay in Canada.  They do not benefit anyone except Telus shareholders...and in the scheme of things, compared to the difficulties we get, I don't think it is a fair trade of our inconvenience for Telus shareholder's benefits.  When I call tech support, I do expect the person at the other end to know what the products are...

Community Power User
Community Power User

@BillTelusCust wrote:

A good start might be putting an end to Canadian carriers having "overseas" call support centers. ... I think the jobs should stay in Canada.  They do not benefit anyone except Telus shareholders...and in the scheme of things, compared to the difficulties we get, I don't think it is a fair trade of our inconvenience for Telus shareholder's benefits.  When I call tech support, I do expect the person at the other end to know what the products are...

One of the challenges is staffing call centres in Canada. Having spoken with a number of past CSR, it is not a pleasant position, and generally does not pay enough for the grief you get. Folks in offshore locations are quite well paid relatively, and a large population seeking regular employment  keeps staffing levels high enough.  Maybe if we teated CSR like we would want to be treated there would be less offshoring of these jobs.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

Well, Rogers and Shaw have their support in Canada and I think Telus can rise to the challenge.

Although you make a valid point, I am quite certain that one of the prime considerations was cost, as in wages.

People could and should be more civil, that's true.

Darkbob
Connector

I have a Tmobile plan that I picked up a few years ago in Arizona.  I use it while I'm down there.  5 lines for $80/month.  Well technically 2 lines for $80 then they gave me 3 more lines for free as a bonus on black friday and Tmobile Tuesday and fathers day.  So I've got 5 sim cards all active and working just fine.  They are good for the US and Canada.  My plan has 6GB of data with a roll-over of up to another 20GB per line if I don't use my whole 6GB.

So I figured "Hey!  I'm good to go in Canada!  Cancel my Koodo line!"  And sure enough, other than my friends having to call long distance to reach me, it worked great.  For 2 months.  Then the nasty text messages started from Tmobile saying I was using excessive roaming data and I was off-network and in violation of Terms of Service.  They got kinda nasty to say the least.  Threatened to cut me off.

So I reluctantly signed up for Telus.  I was going to shut off my Tmobile account because the Telus plan offers US roaming.  But what if the Telus plan also has some hidden "gotchas" like the Tmobile Plan?  So I hung onto my Tmo Sims in case I need them this fall when I head back.  But it wasn't a total waste.  This summer I was out at the lake and needed some data.  I used up 6GB on one Tmobile SIM with a hot-spot.  Then went to the next SIM and so-on.  I was at the lake for 2 months and no nasty texts from Tmobile... so I guess that's a bonus.

But no.  In general you can not just buy a Tmobile SIM card and figure you are all set.  They will shut you down. 

Now if Tmobile ever does come to Canada for real... Telus will be toast.  Tmobile seriously values every last customer.  You feel very important and wanted.  At least while you are in the USA.  I've never been on hold for more than a minute.  And they give me free movie tickets and ice cream and lots of goodies.  Even with the nasty texts and slightly misleading "no borders" plan I still love Tmo.  Can't say the same for Telus.