Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Defective or Damaged?

Sustain26
Friendly Neighbour

Hi!

This is Urgent!

Bought a new phone (Uniherz Tank2), inserted existing Sim card - cannot receive phone calls with a ring, they go directly to voice mail. 

Went back to old phone, re-inserted the same Sim card, cannot receive a phone call with a ring, only voicemail. 

Yes, all the settings were verified. Spent hours on the chat line, trying USSD codes, etc.

Can a nearby Telus dealer replace the Sim card and fix this problem? This is a critical phone usage

situation, I need the phone to contact extremely sick people. Please copy your reply to my email address - 

[email protected]

7 REPLIES 7

Syaoran
All-Star

Is this the new device you are using?  Tank 2 - 15500 mAh Rugged Phone with Built-in Laser Projector - Unihertz

Telus has a very aggressive policy towards devices not sold by Telus or other Canadian carriers.  They label them as grey market devices and regardless of network and software compatibility.  Features like VoLTE, WiFi Calling, and roaming in the US are not permitted.  Make sure 3G is enabled for incoming and outgoing calls.  The band compatibility of the device is actually very good.  You might be able to look up a way to trick the system into provisioning VoLTE or find an engineering menu on the device to force VoLTE, like is possible with OnePlus devices, but OnePlus devices are much more commonly used.  

Sustain26
Friendly Neighbour

Hi Syaoran,

The old phone didn't have any issues. I suspect more and more Android is the root cause of these never before seen problems. Which carrier is more 'sympathetic' to 'grey' devices (do you mean unlocked?)?

I don't see how Android would be the issue. Sympathetic is not a word I would use when it comes to a business. Consumer friendly policies would be my choice of words. Outside of Telus/Koodo, and in some cases, Bell/Virgin. Devices that are not permitted to work on those networks usually work perfectly on Videotron/Freedom and Rogers/Fido/Chart. I have never used the device you purchased but OnePlus or my US purchased s23 Ultra are good examples of devices that work on every network in Canada but Telus/Koodo restricts those devices from VoLTE, WiFi Calling, and Roaming in the US.

All Canadian carrier devices must be sold as SIM Unlocked as mandated by the CRTC. Devices not sold by Canadian Carriers, meaning devices from the US and other countries that are not iPhone's, like European and Asian devices. Blu is a good example. Great devices. Very compatible with Canadian and US networks and carriers but still won't work for VoLTE and WiFi Calling and not allowed to roam in the US on a couple of Canadian carriers. Not because they won't because they are not allowed.

Sustain26
Friendly Neighbour

I was able to send photos using MMS, but Android changed that to RCS and no more photos. That's what I meant. Telus, my carrier, blamed the other carriers. Really?

You can turn off RCS in Google Messages. It is very hit and miss unless you are in the Google Messages beta program. I have had very few issues with it on my s23 Ultra but I also see updates daily, sometimes multiple times a day.

Sustain26
Friendly Neighbour

Turning it off doesn't work. Maybe in an urban environment it will default to SMS because the signal is easier to send/receive but not in the boonies where I live.

Are you sending the messages internationally? Are your APN settings correct? There are some devices that don't always auto configure the APN correctly for data and MMS.
https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/activate-data-on-your-android-device