Samsung galaxy discover battery life was too short, what should i do?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

shimianfei1087
Resident

get new phone with samsung galaxy discover but the battery life was too short, eventhough you turn if off.need to recharge it everyday.what else i can do?

Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi, you can either change the battery or get a new device as well.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum
This is a common problem with phones with full screens.

Is bluetooth disabled when not used?
Do you have the screen brightness at the lowest setting?

Other options is a battery slip case or I prefer a high Mah external battery that can also power a tablet (6000mah or bigger).
Most Helpful
wadgegirl
Neighbour
that phone is just junk and telua should have recalled all of them. i had pne and of i used the phone at all it wouldnt last more the 3 hours. i gave in and bought an s3 mini. I'm on it all the time and it lasts about 2 day
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi, do you know if the device is still under warranty? I strongly suggest you to visit a TELUS store to have it checked. If it's fine, then you might want to look at your options to have it replaced.

Most Helpful
infant
Connector

I've gone back to telus twice. Once within the first 30 days and then about 4 or 5 months ago both times they said it was the battery. Gave me new batteries and sent me on my way. It's my wife's phone that I bought for her last Christmas.  It never charges up to 100%... only to 99, no matter how long it is plugged in. I have turned the screen to its lowest setting and turned off the wifi, bluetooth, everything is off, it's just a large screened phone. She may get one or two calls a WEEK, the charge lasts approx 24 hrs with no calls, 15 hrs if she gets one. On another thread here, I was told that 24 hrs is all I should expect from a smartphone. I say bullcrap! My 2 1/2 year old LG Optimus One gives me almost 5 days with bluetooth and wifi turned on 24/7. I don't use the phone alot but I may send or receive a few texts each day. Both our phones are more for emergency use but a dead Samsung is pretty useless in an emergency unless you need to throw it at someone. It's just a real bad waste of $100.

Most Helpful
infant
Connector

Just an update...i charged up my wife's phone yesterday for 12 hours...i unplugged it around 6:30pm and at 11pm last night it was down to 51%! No calls or texts, wifi and bluetooth off....and the guys at Telus say that this is normal for a smartphone....

WongTong
Ambassador

Smartphones can use up a lot of battery, but I suspect you either have multiple opened background apps or a software glitch. If you are still under your 1 year warranty,  you can bring your phone in store to have it sent to repair, or you can try a Factory Reset under Settings>Backup and Reset>Factory data reset, to clear your phone completely (Make sure to back up important content prior to doing that)

Highlighted
Most Helpful
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@infant wrote:

Just an update...i charged up my wife's phone yesterday for 12 hours...i unplugged it around 6:30pm and at 11pm last night it was down to 51%! No calls or texts, wifi and bluetooth off....and the guys at Telus say that this is normal for a smartphone....

Was the phone unused for the 5.5 hrs?  What apps were running in the background?

One other test....  Do the same thing.... but with "airplane mode" engaged.  What percentage do you have after 5.5 hrs?  I want to assess if weak coverage is increasing the power drain.

Most Helpful
infant
Connector

Yes the phone was unused during that period. It should be noted that when I picked it up at 11pm the back was really warm. How do I see what's running in the background? And how do I turn them off? My warranty is up in the next week or so as I bought it for my wife last Christmas. Everything I've read about these phones state that they are hit or miss with the battery. One of my coworkers has the same phone. He got his first one replaced for the battery problem and his current phone (same model) gives him 4 days with some use...not a lot and wifi on.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum
You mentioned the phone was warm... again, do your test again with "airplane mode". A warm phone can also be the result of poor coverage. Airplane mode will confirm this.

In addition to hardware issues, another factor is poor coverage at your home location. Something your co-worker can't validate as they do not live with you.
infant
Connector

Okay, so i've shut down every background app and process, wifi, bluetooth, turned down the display, set the display to shut down after 10 seconds and put it into airplane mode. I havent sent or received any texts or phone calls.  I don't think there is any more power savings to be had,  That being said, after 3.5 hrs, the battery life was down to 77%.  So based on this, I figure I can get 15-20 hrs max out of the phone.  However, I can't send or receive any texts or calls....great (non) phone!!

infant
Connector

BTW, if the service was poor why don't I have a problem with my LG Optimus One?

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Is the phone warm????

Hmm.... 10% power reduction each hour in airplane mode is suspicious and eliminates the blame on poor coverage.

Sounds like warranty or a new phone might be the best option....

Different phone models behave differently as they have different sized antennas. Biggest example was iPhone's "death grip" where holding the phone a certain way would cause dropped calls.

infant
Connector

8am this morning, phone was dead. Been like this since day one and Telus says this is normal because it's a smartphone

infant
Connector

I think it's going to go back to Samsung. It's still under warranty until the 24th of December.  My question is this...Seeing as I bought the "Telus" phone at Future Shop, do I bring it back to them or to Telus? I'm not expecting much help from them because from threads that I've read, they send the phones back and Samsung returns them saying that there is nothing wrong. Won't know till I try...

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I would contact Future Shop immediately for how to get the phone serviced. With less than two weeks, you are cutting it very close.

As Future Shop does not service phones on site and you've already tried battery replacement. I'm going to guess it needs back to manufacturer.

infant
Connector

I brought it back to Telus and they are sending it out to a service depot for repair/replacement. (or so they say).  I spoke with the manager who assured me that he is well aware of the problem with these phones. The previous times that I brought it back, the other sales staff always fluffed it off saying they were not aware of any problems. They gave us a nice. loaner phone so we are back in business....for now

Thanks for everyones help. Merry Christmas to all!

Rob

Most Helpful
infant
Connector

Well we got the phone back yesterday. They replaced the motherboard on it. We charged it up and it finally went to 100% charge.. With wifi and bluetooth off, just in cell mode, it's dropped 9% in 21 hours. Normally it was dead by now. I believe it is fixed. Thanks for your help everyone!