Receiving texts from the US

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

chaopeggy
Friendly Neighbour

My rate plan is iPhone 50-200Local & 500MB with no other add-ons. I am receiving texts from a friend who is in the States. Would that charge me extra when I receive and send texts to her?

Thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User

With international friends.... I recommend looking at a messenger service to minimize charges for keeping in touch.

v9
Rockstar

Hi-chaopeggy. First of all review, What's (Included in your plan) Click also the tab [Messages-Usage] in your acct. My plan

can receive and send, unlimited messages within Canada. In Apr-bill, TELUS chargedMe $0.40 ctvs for a SMS sent to US.It was false & removed. So if your plan doesn't include "International-text-msges" The Add-on, cost [($5-for100) & ($10=200)]txt.msges

Login its website: https://www.telus.com/. Talk to an agent by 'Chat' to solve your issue: Also search for [What's Telus add-ons] in - https://www.google.com/ . here you can read "Reviews" about this subject. Note: If links can't open by

left.click >Right click >hit open,.  Bye  <ReadMe-soon>  "v9"

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Community Power User
Community Power User
If your friend has a smart phone you could use email instead. Much cheaper, and the user can be in control of when the downloads occur. I use this method to reduce charges when on the road; I check for emails at WiFi locations.

Most base plans will have an additional fee to send texts to the USA. You should be able to confirm your fees through the "My Account" section of Telus.com
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Hi Chaopeggy,

All the above mentioned responses are valid options and alternatives to text messaging! Smiley Happy As long as you are in canada you will not be charged for the incomming texts from your US friend, however replying to him/her without utilizing any of the following messaging bundles http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/add-ons/index.jsp will cost you 40 cents per message you send. Robot Happy

Cheers!

EA
Connector

If you don't have an add-on, yes, incoming and outgoing texts to the US will be for $0.40. You can also use apps sucha as BBM, or iMessage, or whatsapp

Community Power User
Community Power User

@EA @Dimo-X 

Can you confirm the fees for incoming texts?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Most Helpful

Hola! @NFtoBC Smiley Happy Looks like @chaopeggy Hasn't come around these parts no more! Smiley Happy But I can confirm that as long as you are in Canada and have regular texting in your plan then you will not be charged for incoming texts from anywhere in the world... Outgoing however, you will be charged for texts going outside of canada & would need a bundle/longdistance feature to avoid mountain sized charges. Robot wink

chaopeggy
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks @Dimo-X for your explanations! Does this apply to calls from outside of Canada as well?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@chaopeggy

Incoming calls do not attract long distance charges or roaming fees if you are in your home calling area. If you travel to other locations, you may be charged fees for the portion between your home area and wherever you currently are.

This has been discussed many times in these forums. You may wish to complete a search on the topic for similar questions.

NFtoBC
chaopeggy
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you for your reply!