Is there a plan or add-on I can get for unlimited text messaging and calling to the U.S.?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I have a loved one living in the U.S. and I would like to keep in touch with them. Soon, I will be getting a new phone and contract. I'd like to know if there is an inexpensive plan or add-on that allows unlimited text messaging and calling to the U.S.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
I suggest you look into third party applications for this purpose, they seem perfect for your situation, and are cheaper than any plan. Skype will allow both voice and text between users at little or no cost. Apps such as Kik or WhatsApp will allow texting at no cost, and may offer voice as well

I use the messaging options in iOS between family members who have Apple products. I believe Blackberry, and other manufacturers may have similar communication opportunities.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour
The Fongo app for ios and android you buy credits to call it's .02/min and $2.99 /mo for unlimited to the US or the Viber app if both parties have it its free

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
I suggest you look into third party applications for this purpose, they seem perfect for your situation, and are cheaper than any plan. Skype will allow both voice and text between users at little or no cost. Apps such as Kik or WhatsApp will allow texting at no cost, and may offer voice as well

I use the messaging options in iOS between family members who have Apple products. I believe Blackberry, and other manufacturers may have similar communication opportunities.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Instead of SMS, Blackberry BBM's are free.

iOS Facetime is another option.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee
Highlighted
Ambassador

Hey,

For calling I would suggest you:

Nationwide & US calling $35 which is going to convert all your local mins into LD (Can-Can & Can - US)

North America 3 - $3     -    30 Minutes  (Can-Can & Can - US)
North America 15 - $15 - 100 Minutes  (Can-Can & Can - US)
North America 25 - $25 - 200 minutes  (Can-Can & Can - US)

For texting there are 2 packages:

Canada to International Text Messaging 100 (Includes 100 Text messages outgoing, Incoming is free ) $5
Unlimited Canada to International Text Messaging $10.

Hope this will help you!

Helpful Neighbour

One word: SKYPE.

Highlighted
Connector

If you already have an unlim. nationwide calling plan, (which most people do these days), you can get the $15.00 unlimited US calling add on.  

Highlighted
Ambassador

get a new plan or ask for 10$ unlimited canadian long distance ...it exsists but dont let them make u spend 15 grr

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour
The Fongo app for ios and android you buy credits to call it's .02/min and $2.99 /mo for unlimited to the US or the Viber app if both parties have it its free