If my wife and I are in Mexico, are there charges if we phone or text each other

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

sidestreetsweet
Neighbour

If my wife and I are in Mexico, and we do not purchase an additional plan, are there charges if we phone or text each other

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Artemis
Ambassador

Yes there will be charges if you phone or text using the conventional cellular network. You may want to look at using a 3rd party messaging or voice application that allows you to connect through WiFi. Skype would be one of the more inexpensive alternatives.

View solution in original post

Most Helpful
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Do you both have Blackberries?  Blackberry BBM is FREE.  You can send pictures and video too!  I often send "wish you were here" images to friends who choose to "sleep in" at the hotel to make them jealous.

Are your phones unlocked?  Another option is swap out the Telus SIM for something local.  For high usage travellers, a SIM card swap is cheaper than roaming plans.  It's great if you and your wife have different interests, but still want to keep in touch.  Pay attention to coverage.... cheap rates are useless to me if it does not work when I want it to, especially indoors.

All Replies
Most Helpful
Artemis
Ambassador

Yes there will be charges if you phone or text using the conventional cellular network. You may want to look at using a 3rd party messaging or voice application that allows you to connect through WiFi. Skype would be one of the more inexpensive alternatives.

Most Helpful
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Do you both have Blackberries?  Blackberry BBM is FREE.  You can send pictures and video too!  I often send "wish you were here" images to friends who choose to "sleep in" at the hotel to make them jealous.

Are your phones unlocked?  Another option is swap out the Telus SIM for something local.  For high usage travellers, a SIM card swap is cheaper than roaming plans.  It's great if you and your wife have different interests, but still want to keep in touch.  Pay attention to coverage.... cheap rates are useless to me if it does not work when I want it to, especially indoors.

WongTong
Leader

BBM uses data just like suggested third party messaging apps. Make sure you are connected to wifi and to be on the safe side, you can disable mobile network, remove sim or turn airplane mode on from your phone settings. Skype, Whatsapp, iMessage and BBM are good alternatives for texting