I'm stuck with my phone and plan and can't get out

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

SteveR
Resident
Long time telus subscriber (10 yrs) and have been off contract for a long time. The problem is that my rate plan is quite good; $50/mth 5G data with calling/texting and all the bells and whistles. I currently have an S6 that I bought second hand after my S3 crapped out. I am looking at a new phone but to get a deal I have to sign up for a current rate plan that are over twice the cost for what I have. I don't want to give up my plan and don't want to spend $1000 on a new phone. Is there anything for someone in my position?
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Purchase a used phone someone is selling (verify with the carrier the IMEI is clear), or purchase a new one for full price. Not many options if you want to keep what you already have plan wise.

With the S9 coming out soon people will be unloading their S8’s.
Oilman
Resident

Buy a new phone

Keep the plan

Avoid plan gouging

Better deal buying a phone in the long run

Syaoran
Ambassador

Your options are incredibly limited!  You don't want to give up your grandfathered plan but also don't want to spend $1000+ on a phone.  What type of phone do you actually want to get?  You could purchase your phone through BestBuy, Amazon, or another retailer on a credit card and pay it off monthly.  You can check Kijiji, Ebay, Craig's List, and many other sites out there to buy used devices.  If you buy a previous model, you can usually find them less than half of their original price at launch, which should bring your cost down to around $500. 

Freedom Mobile offers more of the American way of doing things is you can sacrifice coverage, reliability, and network data speed.  Your phone payment is a subsidy that isn't factored into the cost of your phone plan.  You can keep a plan but get locked into a contract for a device payment.  That can range around $30 and up per month in addition to your plan.  This is actually very similar to how T-Mobile USA/MetroPCS has done things for more than a decade now. 

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@SteveR wrote:
Long time telus subscriber (10 yrs) and have been off contract for a long time. The problem is that my rate plan is quite good; $50/mth 5G data with calling/texting and all the bells and whistles. I currently have an S6 that I bought second hand after my S3 crapped out. I am looking at a new phone but to get a deal I have to sign up for a current rate plan that are over twice the cost for what I have. I don't want to give up my plan and don't want to spend $1000 on a new phone. Is there anything for someone in my position?

Of course! You don’t have to get a $1000 phone. They offer devices for all budgets!