cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I troubleshoot Telus Smart hub dramatic drop in download speed?

Alith
Organizer

I usually have a download speed of between 12 and 20 during the day. (tested by Speedtest by Ookla on cell wifi or hardwired PC). In the evening around 9 P.M. this drops dramatically to 0.5 to 2.5! I don't have anything using a huge amount of data at that time.

It makes it impossible to watch ON Demand satellite TV. After about an hour, the download speed improves to 8 or 9 and by this morning it was 20. Turning off other devices in the house when it drops, doesn't seem to help.

Is there a device or app I can use to see what's using up my download speed? (Unplugging the Huawei app and plugging it back in did not help.)

8 REPLIES 8

Alith
Organizer

It's actually a Huawei modem, not app.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is the cellular-connected device? If so, I wonder if you are seeing node saturation due to increasing numbers of users on your particular cell tower. Not all cell towers carry the bandwidth to support large numbers of consumers. If the hubs are moved from a high bandwidth tower to a lower one, you may experience slower throughput as numbers of users increase.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Hi NFtoBC and thank you for your reply. The Hawei modem has a sim card and is a cellular device. 

So node saturation boils down to too many people drawing from a cell tower that can't handle the load? Is there a way to tell which tower is being used. In our small town there is only one Telus tower. Is there anything I can do on my end, before I call for a tech to come out that might help?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There no steps I am aware of that you can take to fix the issue. If it does turn out to be node saturation, there, unfortunately will be little the tech can do either. One of the issues with mobile tech, is that it moves. As much as a supplier hopes to ensure high bandwidth users are clustered around the locations where they can supply the bandwidth (many cell sites cannot offer high bandwidth due to physical constraints) , often users move their device to other low bandwidth areas, overwhelming the local cell.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

StanKopp
Just Moved In
Same problem. Dec 2019 speed test avg 20 mbps. Jan 2020, snow storm, cell phones failed for days, commercial power failed for several hours, wireless smart hub internet failed for days. Telus contacted after no service or intermittent service of 1 mbps for last three weeks. Ticket issued as problem is not huawei smart hub, they have equipment problem or they have changed tower capacity. Waiting on TELUS reply.

Hi StanKopp. I talked to tech support yesterday. He said the speed I'm getting is because the tower can't handle the load. They just allowed too many in our community to go on the smart hub. The annoying thing besides paying for this service, is that my street doesn't have a lot of other options. Shaw cable doesn't run down this street, and neither does any DSL. 

I did get a $10 monthly credit applied to my account for the next 12 months, but I'd rather have the issue fixed.

Now that people are working from home, the download speed is even worse!

UpsetXXXX
Just Moved In

They don't phone back they have not solved this lack of connectivity for months now and I you for the best you have, I will see if CTV new would do an article on how you boast too help many people with connectivity but you cannot support what you have. I have asked and asked how I can help what I can do and all you do each time is give me level one support promise level 2 and you don't follow though. I will develop a reddit blog on this to get some traction as you don't seem to care for current customers.