cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do Customers Block Unknown Callers

Bellsy
Just Moved In

I have searched the forums and cannot find a way to block incoming calls from Unknown callers. Why can't Telus solve this problem?

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Because they are in the business of connecting callers. There are many legitimate callers not releasing their number. You choosing not to answer (and letting the number go to voicemail) is a very different situation than blocking them centrally.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I have better things to do than going to check voice mails, which is essentially the same as answering an unknown caller. If people want to remain anonymous........then they should be blocked for not having the descency to reveal themselves. Additionally, these calls are even getting through from the   National Do Not Call List. They are violating the rules and regulations set forth by the CRTC. They are committing a criminal offence and Telus is doing nothing to prevent these types of calls from getting through to my phone. Telus is also bound by the same rules and regulations set forth by the CRTC. All Telus and the Government want is our hard earned dollars and we are not getting the services we due to be protected from. 

@Bellsy  I understand telus will give you a new phone number free. Entering your phone # on sites puts it out to everyone. Numbers are auto generated and change by the hour. If i don't know the area code i don't answer.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In addition the National Do No Call list will no nothing to stop callers that originate outside of Canada. Most of the spam calls tend to come from outside Canada and they are very hard to track. Many of the countries that calls originate from, like India, make it extremely hard for Canadian law enforcement to deal with the scam call centres.

Also do not use your phone number for social media, like Facebook. Do not use your cell number to sign up for contests or draws, either online or even locally. Make sure you don't have malware on your phone either as that can in some cases obtain your phone number as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I don't agree with you at all.  Landlines have the ability to block unknown numbers, and it is the "same business".  If someone doesn't want to reveal their number, I don't want to talk to them. And since it is my phone my phone number and I pay the bill, as far as I'm concerned, that's my right.

@BillTelusCust I hear that the Call Control feature is coming to mobile. It can't come soon enough for me.

I agree with you on not anwering any calls that don't have caller id or with unexpected caller ids. It's very rare these days that anything important will come via a call from an unidentified number.

BrandonT
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Bellsy 

There are a few different ways you can block unknown callers.

• Option #1 - Enable Do Not Disturb Mode on your phone.
    Your phone has a feature called Do Not Disturb. This will ensure your phone will NOT ring for ANY of your phone calls. Depending on your phones make, model, and software version, You may also get the ability to alter the settings to allow calls from specific numbers, and or only your contacts. 

• Option #2 - Add phone numbers to your contacts, then block contact.
    This option only works well if you know the phone number of the caller, and they always call using the same phone number.

• Option #3 - TELUS Call Control - (Recommended)
    New feature released May 14th 2020 (recommended for blocking the most spam/scam calls)

To enable Call Control:
1. Login to your TELUS online account Click Here.

2. Click Plans & Devices
(Along the top row: Overview, Billing, Usage, Plans & Devices).

3. Click the phone number you wish to add Call Control.

4. Click Call Control
(Under the title "Mobility plans and devices" You will see the text: "Plan", "Device", and now "Call Control").

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square:If you found this helpful, let others know by clicking the ❤️ Like button.