Going on a Road trip around the US, need some advice.

Highlighted
DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

Hey guys, so I am going on a road trip around America and I plan on bringing my Telus phone. Its a LG G5 that I am going to pay to have unlocked. My question is, once it is unlocked I will be able to use it on an American Cell Network once I buy a SIM? I plan on getting a T-Mobile SIM and tourist plan. Will my LG G5 be compatible on T-Mobiles network or will it not work? Basically I only need data, talk and text are not really a big deal.

Thank you

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's unlocked, it should work fine once you put a new SIM in it.

If in doubt, try this: http://willmyphonework.net/ Smiley Happy

If you have the Canadian model of G5 (H831), it should work fine.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DEADHEAD620  The first question is how many days are you planning on being in the States for? It maybe more economical to stay with the Telus EasyRoam plan. You can read up about it here.

That being said it will work on TMO providing it's unlocked..

Community Power User
Community Power User

What do you  expect to be your biggest need for data? If for GPS mapping, there are a number of inexpensive GPS options for your device which download maps to your device while at home, and make them available offline while travelling. I have used Copilot GPS for about 8 years now, and others recommend Here Maps as another alternative. Bonus - it even works in areas with poor cell service.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk wrote:

If it's unlocked, it should work fine once you put a new SIM in it.

If in doubt, try this: http://willmyphonework.net/ Smiley Happy

If you have the Canadian model of G5 (H831), it should work fine.

According to the site it will indeed work, thanks for the link.

DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

WestCoasterBC wrote:

@DEADHEAD620  The first question is how many days are you planning on being in the States for? It maybe more economical to stay with the Telus EasyRoam plan. You can read up about it here.

That being said it will work on TMO providing it's unlocked..

I will be in the states for about 20-25 days traveling through Vegas, Los Angles, San Francisco, Arizona, Salt Lake City and Boulder Colorado. I feel like getting a US plan will be more flexible.

DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

NFtoBC wrote:

What do you  expect to be your biggest need for data? If for GPS mapping, there are a number of inexpensive GPS options for your device which download maps to your device while at home, and make them available offline while travelling. I have used Copilot GPS for about 8 years now, and others recommend Here Maps as another alternative. Bonus - it even works in areas with poor cell service.

Yea maps are defiantly a big one, We are going through around 7 States and going to try and go off the beat and path at times so having maps is a must. I know a dedicated GPS is useful but I need data for other things so I figured why not use that money for a cell plan. Also social media, google music, that sort of thing. I will check out Copilot GPS, I have HERE WeGo map installed as well as Sygic, both have offline modes. Going to test the locally first and see which I like best, thank you for the input. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Look carefully before jumping for the T-Mobile Tourist plan. It is not very tourist friendly:

• must be delivered to a US address (or picked up in store)
  • must be purchased with a US credit card (I would assume cash at a store, but not clear)
  • is good for only 21 days.
  • has an effective limit of 2GB before being throttled
  • no refills
  • does not allow calls back to Canada
  • assigns you a new number, which your regular contacts cannot reach.

Just about anywhere you stay would have Wi-Fi, so planning can be done off line. I find we can get by with very little cellular consumption when travelling in the USA. Offline maps,  few SMS, and use of Wi-Fi which is pretty much ubiquitous including rest areas keeps my usage very small.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

NFtoBC wrote:

Look carefully before jumping for the T-Mobile Tourist plan. It is not very tourist friendly:

• must be delivered to a US address (or picked up in store)
  • must be purchased with a US credit card (I would assume cash at a store, but not clear)
  • is good for only 21 days.
  • has an effective limit of 2GB before being throttled
  • no refills
  • does not allow calls back to Canada
  • assigns you a new number, which your regular contacts cannot reach.

Just about anywhere you stay would have Wi-Fi, so planning can be done off line. I find we can get by with very little cellular consumption when travelling in the USA. Offline maps,  few SMS, and use of Wi-Fi which is pretty much ubiquitous including rest areas keeps my usage very small.

Yea I phoned and asked, cash is fine for in store pick up.

21 days should be fine for me, if not they have tmobile stores all over, walmart even sells them.

The throttle is crappy but it happens on all the other option, Raom mobile, at&t, etc. 

Can use apps for calls back to canada over wifi

New number is a bummer but I can just social media the people I need.

I see what you are saying though, I just feel like it would be a better deal to grab a monthly pre paid SIM.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Another option... Roam Mobility.  It's a Canadian operation running on the TMobile network.

Roam Mobility is available at NCIX, Staples, airports, border duty free stores, and many other Canadian retailers.

DEADHEAD620
Friendly Neighbour

xl wrote:

Another option... Roam Mobility.  It's a Canadian operation running on the TMobile network.

Roam Mobility is available at NCIX, Staples, airports, border duty free stores, and many other Canadian retailers.

I did look into Roam Mobility. Do you have any experience with them? It usually comes down to Roam or T-Mobile, they both use the same network (T-Mobiles network) The rates are pretty similar as well. They do have a bigger data package available though.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I have been using Roam for several years.  It's the preferred choice for heavy data users when in the states.

Check the coverage map.  Roam has no partnerships in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and a few other states.