cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email and Shareable data plan

jrueger
Ambassador

I just signed up for a Shareable Data Plan for my iPhone and during that process there was a message that I would get an email address with the data plan.  Is this true?  I can't find anything on the Telus Mobility website about this - how to set it up, etc - nor have I received any notification from Telus about this "feature".  Can anyone enlighten me?  Thanks.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Pamely
Ambassador
Well as far as I know you can get a telus.net email whenever you get home services such internet, tv or landline. But with iphone there is no offer at the moment of a telus email as far as I know. I hope this would help you!

Member of Telus Mobility Department
---------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

NFtoBC You're right TELUS only offers e-mail with their residential internet service.

jrueger
Ambassador

Well that is interesting.  In effect there is no real difference between "landline" and "cellular" access to the "internet".  Both are data services as opposed to voice services.  Suppose I live in an area where there is no landline internet service from Telus but there is cellular data service ... I can't have a Telus email address?  Doesn't make sense.  There should be no relationship between the type of internet (data) service and access to a mail server.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
There is really no data over a landline; internet connectivity is a separate option. Purchasing the TELUS residential Internet service provides a number of tools including space for web pages, and an email address security services and web mail access. It also provides devices to host local WiFi. In this instance, TELUS acts as an Internet Service Provider with a range of services.

A smartphone is a connected device, which connects to the Internet through the wireless service provider. In this case, it is simply a data pipe. A different set of services are provided. I am not aware of a wireless provider offering an email account as part of that service.

In the old dial-up days, your Internet provider might be other than your telephone provider. Now Internet services are most often bundled with cable or telephone service, and most folks combine or bundle services. There are of course options to have others provide your service, but most are riding on an existing "pipe" either copper, cable or Fiber.

To my knowledge, TELUS does not offer wireless home phone service, but the recently announced service by Rogers only includes standard telephone services such as voicemail, caller ID etc. no Internet services.

If you expect your smart phone to be you sole connection to the Internet, it would appear you need to acquire an email address from one of the free or paid suppliers of email services.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

5 REPLIES 5

Pamely
Ambassador
Well as far as I know you can get a telus.net email whenever you get home services such internet, tv or landline. But with iphone there is no offer at the moment of a telus email as far as I know. I hope this would help you!

Member of Telus Mobility Department
---------------------------------------------

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
As far as I recall, only telus Internet service offers an email address. There are innumerable options to obtain a personal email these days, which you can take with you if you change services.
NFtoBC

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

NFtoBC You're right TELUS only offers e-mail with their residential internet service.

jrueger
Ambassador

Well that is interesting.  In effect there is no real difference between "landline" and "cellular" access to the "internet".  Both are data services as opposed to voice services.  Suppose I live in an area where there is no landline internet service from Telus but there is cellular data service ... I can't have a Telus email address?  Doesn't make sense.  There should be no relationship between the type of internet (data) service and access to a mail server.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
There is really no data over a landline; internet connectivity is a separate option. Purchasing the TELUS residential Internet service provides a number of tools including space for web pages, and an email address security services and web mail access. It also provides devices to host local WiFi. In this instance, TELUS acts as an Internet Service Provider with a range of services.

A smartphone is a connected device, which connects to the Internet through the wireless service provider. In this case, it is simply a data pipe. A different set of services are provided. I am not aware of a wireless provider offering an email account as part of that service.

In the old dial-up days, your Internet provider might be other than your telephone provider. Now Internet services are most often bundled with cable or telephone service, and most folks combine or bundle services. There are of course options to have others provide your service, but most are riding on an existing "pipe" either copper, cable or Fiber.

To my knowledge, TELUS does not offer wireless home phone service, but the recently announced service by Rogers only includes standard telephone services such as voicemail, caller ID etc. no Internet services.

If you expect your smart phone to be you sole connection to the Internet, it would appear you need to acquire an email address from one of the free or paid suppliers of email services.

NFtoBC