Does TELUS price match rate plans?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I know TELUS price matches the price of phones on contract, but do they match rate plans and devices bought outright?

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I just wish the competition matches Telus's great coverage.... without going out of business.

• does the competition offer great indoor coverage in apartments, office towers and subway tunnels?
  • when will the competition quit charging you roaming fees WHILE IN CANADA?
  • will the competition offer you LTE, or is it just EDGE speed data
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@OMFCodyIf you talk REALLY nicely to Loyalty they might. But you have to be nice. I was and got them to price match Fido about 6 months ago.

XL I don't know where you live but here:

• Telus does NOT have coverage in the subway tunnels. Horrendous coverage within apartment/condo buildings also. In the office tower I work in, coverage there is quite unreliable once you are higher than 20 floors.
  • Roaming fees within Canada? Not hard to get rid of.
  • Telus isn't the only one with LTE and it will also depend heavily on the phone OP has as to if they'll use LTE to start with.

As for going out of business, do you know what the profit margin for mobility is in Canada? Massive. The big 3 have no worries about going out of business. Wind would be the only one I can think of that likely will.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

In Vancouver, you can get better reception and data speeds in the Canada Line tunnels than above ground. Thank-you Telus.

Highway 1's Cassiar tunnel also has reception.

Co-workers rave about coverage in my office tower and I have no problems visiting friends.

Discount carriers (Wind, Mobilicity) choose to not provide coverage in these locations where I spend my time. I refuse to waste money where I can't have coverage when I need it.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try living somewhere that doesn't have Telus' head office nearby. Reception is far worse.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted

The loyalty department can usually work something out and ultimately wants to keep you with us! And as Nighthawk mentioned being nice definitely goes a long way!  Robot wink

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk   Subway Tunnels?  If you are spaeking of the TTC, they have not allowed the carriers access to their property to install equipment.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not quite that far east. The only provider I've seen with a repeater anywhere underground is Wind. Wasn't in the subway station but the underground walkway leading to it.

Highlighted
Ambassador

They do not match competitors' rate plan prices but will match device pricing. Likely reason is that customers would come in asking for Telus to match other companies loyalty plans which could potentially create a pricing war.

While that sounds appealing for customers, why would  a business do it?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, a pricing war would be if one of the carriers charged less than the others pricing plan, not matching it. Telus won't match for new customers but if you are an existing customer there is a decent chance of it.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Let's play this out a bit using an example:

• Rogers introduces a plan $5 cheaper than Telus
  • Telus matches the plan any time a customer asks to match - the effective price is now $5 cheaper
  • Rogers still wants to be $5 cheaper (why else do it in the first place?), drops prices again

Rinse and repeat, add in a 3rd player and this accelerates. That right there is a price war.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only problem is that doesn't work in reality. The matched price isn't advertised and it's on a per user basis. Telus won't match prices any time a user asks. Therefore Rogers, per your example, would have no knowledge of the prices offered to an individual user. The price matching also isn't for new customers. None of the Canadian carriers would ever match Wind's prices either.

You'll never see a price war on cellular in Canada. Ever. Notice how they all seem to change their pricing at the same time? No one has ever proven it yet but there is hardcore price fixing in Canada.

Highlighted
Ambassador

The question asked was whether Telus price matched on rates - this implies a policy vs. one off exception. If Telus realized they were actually giving the matched price to most customers vs. the advertised price, why wouldn't they start advertising it?

Not sure where you're coming up with restrictions for a policy that doesn't exist so not really sure how to discuss that (only for existing, not matching Wind etc.).

I agree with you they'll never start a price war because its in no-ones best interest, having this policy would create a price war which is probably why no carrier offers it.

They didn't raise prices all at the same time, go put on your tinfoil hat elsewhere. CBC had to retract their article because it was factually incorrect in stating they did it at the same time, Telus actually increased prices back in January.