Contract Opt out on June 3rd?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

JASON__0029
Friendly Neighbour

Hi Everyone, not sure if this was posted before. Been with Telus since 2012 there are confirmed reports out there that on June 3rd 2015 anyone on a 3 year contract before or after the new CTRC wireless code can walk away from a contract. Anyone know if Telus is going to offer those a discounted rate plan to stay? 

Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't know about you, but my contract from before the 2-year requirements came into effect is so superior to what is currently available, that it would be hard to match. I may just keep paying at my current rate plan, and not move to a new contract.

Everyone is hoping for announcements from all of the carriers for June 3, and I guess we will learn what's on offer on or about June 3!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
JASON__0029
Friendly Neighbour

JASON__0029
Friendly Neighbour

The new rule applies to me, I got 4-5 months left. It's a good plan $50 a month but a little pricey for me. I guess we"ll wait and see what happens in the upcoming days 

Community Power User
Community Power User

It is also not clear if hardware subsidies will be forgiven. Different sources are reporting differently. Since Telus removed cancellation fees years ago, the June 3 deadline may not let you walk away cost-free.

NFtoBC
yolo
Resident

Interesting as I have only seen it reported that device subsidies will be waived as the requirement to have them recouped within 24 mos. will not be met as of June 3rd. Isn't this essentially why the original decision was appealed? 

Community Power User
Community Power User

@yolo

Your interpretation matches mine. I understood device subsidies to be included in the term 'cancellation fees' as defined by the CRTC; however some are reporting differently.

NFtoBC
JASON__0029
Friendly Neighbour

Apprently Telus still has the early cancelation fee of $50. But would put the device balance to $0 if I would to leave on June 3rd 

Highlighted
Most Helpful

Hi Jason,

There should be no penalties if you choose to cancel your account after the June 3rd deadline and are on a 3 year term. I'm sure they will try their best to keep you as a client though and what incentives you get will depend on your tenure as well. Give them a shout or reach out via twitter @TELUSsupport so that they can look more into it once the deadline approaches.

Cheers

Community Power User
Community Power User

From the CCTS (finally)! It seems they created as much misunderstanding with their "Clear Language" documentation, as the contracts they legislated against.

NFtoBC