cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I take my prepaid Telus phone number to Rogers if I switch providers?

dobes
Coach

I'm happy with Telus service, but not with some of their policies. I've had my prepaid number with Telus for almost a year, and use it for work as well as socially, so I can't change it. I can get a really good deal at Rogers. Can I take my prepaid Telus number with me? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Pamely
Ambassador

First is so SAD to know that you want to leave Telus. :'(

But in order to give an answer to your question let me tell you that it is possible, you can port your number to a different provider.

View solution in original post

Thanks for answering. It isn't that I WANT to leave Telus - as I said, I've been happy with their services and prices. But I have been in Canada for only a year, and I find their policies toward those who haven't built up enough of a Canadian credit record unreasonable. I want to have a phone for me and one for my partner on the same account, each with a talk and messaging program, no data. Total charge would be less than $80/month, and we own both phones, we don't need to buy new ones from Telus. We are perfectly happy with the credit cap Telus put on us, which is more than 2 months' worth of charges would be. We have had prepaid plans for a year with Telus and have always paid on time. My partner is a student and I am working, and we have not been behind on any bills of any kind in the year we have been in Canada. We want a monthly plan on the same account because then we could talk to each other without using airtime. 

Although one of us has already switched to a monthly plan, Telus will not let us add the second phone to the same account - the second phone must stay on the prepaid plan because I apparently don't have enough of a Canadian credit record. This is true even though the total monthly cost for both phones would be less than half the credit limit Telus has already imposed. Rogers has agreed to put us both on a family plan, as we have had our cable/internet/home phone with them for the same amount of time we've had our Telus account and, of course, have always paid our bills there, too. They feel that is enough to offer us the wireless plan we want, but Telus doesn't agree.  The only problem was that Rogers was under the impression that I could not port a prepaid number here, so I had to ask Telus if I could. 

Apparently, I can take my number with me, so the path is clear to go. I'm not happy to leave Telus, but, as I said, I find that policy unreasonable, and even discriminatory toward those who are new to Canada. 

Ohh, I understand.. 

Now, in regards to CLP, let me tell you there is an option in which at the time of activation you were requested to pay a deposit or choose CLP, if you pay the deposit you can add a second line, or in prepaid as well if the main reason is because you want to call your partner for free, on prepaid there was an old plan for $7 where you can have One number Unlimited (Local). I dont see why Telus cannot provide you with that plan if that would let you stay with Telus.

Or you can wait 9 bills on the account that is Month to month, as long as you pay on time you can request to get yourself removed from that program and add your second line on it. 🙂 you should call *611 for more options and if not just request to be transfered to Loyalty and there should be something they could do!.

I hope this would be helpful for you! Let me know what will you do ok! 😉

5 REPLIES 5

Pamely
Ambassador

First is so SAD to know that you want to leave Telus. :'(

But in order to give an answer to your question let me tell you that it is possible, you can port your number to a different provider.

Thanks for answering. It isn't that I WANT to leave Telus - as I said, I've been happy with their services and prices. But I have been in Canada for only a year, and I find their policies toward those who haven't built up enough of a Canadian credit record unreasonable. I want to have a phone for me and one for my partner on the same account, each with a talk and messaging program, no data. Total charge would be less than $80/month, and we own both phones, we don't need to buy new ones from Telus. We are perfectly happy with the credit cap Telus put on us, which is more than 2 months' worth of charges would be. We have had prepaid plans for a year with Telus and have always paid on time. My partner is a student and I am working, and we have not been behind on any bills of any kind in the year we have been in Canada. We want a monthly plan on the same account because then we could talk to each other without using airtime. 

Although one of us has already switched to a monthly plan, Telus will not let us add the second phone to the same account - the second phone must stay on the prepaid plan because I apparently don't have enough of a Canadian credit record. This is true even though the total monthly cost for both phones would be less than half the credit limit Telus has already imposed. Rogers has agreed to put us both on a family plan, as we have had our cable/internet/home phone with them for the same amount of time we've had our Telus account and, of course, have always paid our bills there, too. They feel that is enough to offer us the wireless plan we want, but Telus doesn't agree.  The only problem was that Rogers was under the impression that I could not port a prepaid number here, so I had to ask Telus if I could. 

Apparently, I can take my number with me, so the path is clear to go. I'm not happy to leave Telus, but, as I said, I find that policy unreasonable, and even discriminatory toward those who are new to Canada. 

Ohh, I understand.. 

Now, in regards to CLP, let me tell you there is an option in which at the time of activation you were requested to pay a deposit or choose CLP, if you pay the deposit you can add a second line, or in prepaid as well if the main reason is because you want to call your partner for free, on prepaid there was an old plan for $7 where you can have One number Unlimited (Local). I dont see why Telus cannot provide you with that plan if that would let you stay with Telus.

Or you can wait 9 bills on the account that is Month to month, as long as you pay on time you can request to get yourself removed from that program and add your second line on it. 🙂 you should call *611 for more options and if not just request to be transfered to Loyalty and there should be something they could do!.

I hope this would be helpful for you! Let me know what will you do ok! 😉

Thanks for your concern. I actually went from the prepaid onto the monthly program because Telus called me and offered a discount. When I accepted, I wasn't offered the chance to put down the deposit, but was only told there would be a credit limit. It made me laugh because it's far more than I would EVER spend on the phone in a month, and I pay the bill in full every month. I have a landline with unlimited North American usage, so I use the cell only for local calls and for texts. When I spoke to Telus about putting the second phone on the line, they did offer me the chance to pay the deposit, but, frankly, I really didn't see the point. What could possibly be their objection to having a second phone on the account, with the absolute same credit limit? We are not asking to double the credit limit - it can stay where it is. Telus would be taking absolutely no more risk that we would overspend than they are now.  I don't want to wait 9 months, but thanks for telling me about the Loyalty option. I don't want to call while I am feeling angry about it, but when I am calmer I will give it one more chance before switching over. 

pappu
Connector

@dobes wrote:

I'm happy with Telus service, but not with some of their policies. I've had my prepaid number with Telus for almost a year, and use it for work as well as socially, so I can't change it. I can get a really good deal at Rogers. Can I take my prepaid Telus number with me? 

Did you mean you want to change network but keep the existing mobile number?
If you want to change another network but keep same number means,First you will do Number portability(1.Request PAC code from your current provider.2.Then make a call to your new service provider and tell your PAC code.3.They will provide your new sim card with your old phone number).After getting your new sim card,Make sure your phone is unlocked one.If it's restricted by single network means,try to unlock your mobile before swap your sim.For unlocking visit WickedUnlock.com