cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Data Options

JCostello
Neighbour

I tried phoning for customer service recently and the person who received my call could not advise me whatsoever about my options for more data.

I am going to be in the hospital for several weeks and I would like to know my best options for additional data. I would like to stream videos on my phone (and maybe tablet). Can someone explain my options for additional data? 

I believe I currently have the Peace of Mind plan (non-share). Am I only able to buy add-on data or could I adjust my monthly plan for a couple of months to Peace of Mind Plus? Or, Peace of Mind Connect Plus so I could stream on my tablet? 

Also, with respect to the add-on data, do I understand correctly that I can only add 3GB for $15 once per billing cycle? Is there any way I can add more data per cycle?

I'd be so grateful if someone on the forums could point me in the direction and then I can follow up with Telus customer service and hopefully I'll get someone who knows their stuff! Thank you, -J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some hospitals may also offer patient wifi as well. I know a couple newer ones in my city do but only in specific areas of the building. May also be an option to look in to. 🙂 Last time I was stuck in hospital without wifi, I just had a family member download and bring in a bunch of content to watch on my tablet and saved my cellular data for non-video content.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some hospitals may also offer patient wifi as well. I know a couple newer ones in my city do but only in specific areas of the building. May also be an option to look in to. 🙂 Last time I was stuck in hospital without wifi, I just had a family member download and bring in a bunch of content to watch on my tablet and saved my cellular data for non-video content.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the advice. Did you use an SD card for your downloaded content? If you used a USB drive, did you need an adaptor so your phone/tablet could charge while also reading the usb drive?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Generally, you would have the family member download video to your device off-site, then bring it to you.

You could also change plans to one meeting your needs for the duration of your stay, but the simplest answer is to see if Wi-Fi is available at the hospital, as @Nighthawk a suggested. Most do these days.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks for clarifying that I could just download to my devices.

Even though I've been given great suggestions about checking for WiFi and downloading, I'd still like to know if anyone knows if I can change to a higher data plan for just a month or two and if I am only allowed 1 add-on per month.

If anyone knows those details re: the plans, it would be great. I just want to have the info in case it became an issue. I don't have any family members with more than the most basic tech knowledge and don't want to impose on friends, so I am trying to organize everything when I am up to it. I am truly very grateful for the help, N and N. Thank you!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Honestly don't know about the data add ons. Talking to Telus Mobility directly may be your best bet. It would be nice if carriers had some option for those stuck in hospital. Especially if they have a cell phone and even home internet with that provider.

If you have Netflix, you can download quite a lot of content to your phone/tablet before getting to the hospital. For me I had a family member download everything to a micro SD card to put in my tablet. If you have an iPad the process will be a bit different. The only imposing on friends I did was to have them sneak snacks into the hospital. Cat Tongue