cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate sim without port transfer

AlexM95
Just Moved In
I just received a new sim card in the mail, brand new number, and need to activate it (I can text but can't receive calls).

I was told to call 1-877-TO-TELUS and use the finish my transfer feature. Why do I need to do this if I am not porting my number (my old number is port locked and I don't want it anymore)?

Is there a way to activate the sim another way?

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then you should be able to login to your account, and update your SIM number there. This is like a new account. If you can’t do it through the web interface, then you’ll need to contact Telus directly.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There should be the option to enter the new SIM number and transfer your account info to the new SIM through the MyTelus portal.

EDIT: you want to abandon your current number. I’ll have to dig a bit further tomorrow.

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you a current Telus customer with a mobility plan? If so, you simply register the SIM to your account. You will have the same phone number, and can change it if you wish. There is no porting of your phone number in this case.

If you are new to Telus, or want a different mobility plan, you will need to select a plan from the website, and attach your SIM number to it. You will then need to cancel your current plan.

Remember, porting occurs between different mobility carriers, not within the same carrier.

NFtoBC

As of last month I was with Koodo, but they had a data breach and port locked my number. I have since cancelled my service with them, and bought a BYOD plan from Telus through my work (they shipped me a sim card the other day). I can't use the "transfer my account" option because I don't want to disable port protection for security reasons, and because there is no number to actually port.

Hope that makes sense, thanks for the help.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then you should be able to login to your account, and update your SIM number there. This is like a new account. If you can’t do it through the web interface, then you’ll need to contact Telus directly.

NFtoBC