cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is email to sms supported?

mariomarchal
Neighbour

Question: is email to sms still supported? For example sending an email to ##########@msg.telus.com

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, email to SMS is supported in a limited capacity in the following format: [email protected]. Please note virtually all URLs are automatically blocked due to propensity for spam and/or malicious content. 

Trelly
Friendly Neighbour
Anyway to unblock or allow these email to SMS messages to come through on iPhone?

Telus absolutely needs to keep this service going and needs to give us users the option to whitelist source IP's or email domains with DKIM. Texts with URLs are very important and while blocking the vast majority is a good thing we need to be able to send them from trusted hosts.

After about 5 days, I got a call from support that they white domain and it now works as expected.

Thanks,

Anibal

Ahh, I see you got it resolved - well done.

El-Eric

Hey Trelly, perhaps there is a better way to send messages rather than email-to-sms. Can you send me a message with what you are trying to accomplish and I'll help you out?

Trelly
Friendly Neighbour
Messages finally started to come through. I have a remote device that will send a cry out email upon a fault or malfunction. Some folks just preferred receiving a text instead. Thanks for your help 🙂

Have you changed anything? I need the same thing.

I did you do? I'm having the same needs.

Trelly
Friendly Neighbour

Sorry for the late reply here. I really didn’t anything more or different than what I was already doing. I just deleted the 

[email protected] that I was using for my destination message and just re-typed it in and saved it again. The system over at Telus I believe doesn’t work properly. Some messages come in and some don’t, so it hard for me say what’s going on, but feel it a Telus issue at this point.

Hi Eric,

We are in PEI and have an emergency notification application for First Responders (Volunteer Firefighters) called I am responding.com.  This is used for notification for thousands of volunteers in Atlantic Canada.  All the messages are coming from a single identity (based in the US).  Is there a way to whitelist the provider?

Appreciate any insight.  [email protected] or the provider at [email protected]

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not entirely sure. While the service itself is still available, albeit on a very limited basis (see above in this thread), you could perhaps reach out to our team for further investigation. 

anibal
Friendly Neighbour

I'm sending email from outlook to [email protected].

The texts are not coming through. However, if I use gmail to send messages/emails then it works.

With Outlook we're getting a bounce back email that looks like this:

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: DM4PR19MB5860.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
Total retry attempts: 4

[email protected]
Remote server returned '550 5.4.300 Message expired -> 421 4.2.0 SK3AsPOA449McSK3AsB8XP mail accepted for delivery AUP#BL'

Original message headers:

Received: from SA0PR19MB4366.namprd19.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:88::17)
 by DM4PR19MB5860.namprd19.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:8:68::8) with Microsoft
 SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2, cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id
 15.20.7762.21; Fri, 12 Jul 2024 15:55:16 +0000
Received: from DS7PR19MB5901.namprd19.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:8:7c::22) by
 SA0PR19MB4366.namprd19.prod.outlook.com (2603:10b6:806:88::17) with Microsoft
 SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2, cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id
 15.20.7762.23; Fri, 12 Jul 2024 04:48:07 +0000
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;

I need this to work since I'm receiving texts that are specific to alerts for a medical application.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

As mentioned in the above thread, email to sms is available albeit on a very limited basis (and many URL's are blocked by the system). Perhaps your best bet may be to get in touch with our Tech Support team.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

That's what I did and I'm not getting anything. In the email there's no URL at all - it's just the word "test" and that's it.

-Anibal

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Perhaps there's a better way to send the messages than this email to sms method. What did our Tech Support team say?

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Nothing. I spent over 1.5 hours on the phone and tech support couldn't even understand what I was trying to do - and yes, I was on the phone for 1.5 hours.

I'm at a loss as to why Outlook-initiated emails are not working while Google-initiated emails do work. I would expect somebody from Telus IT to actually know what's going on. Instead, I'm talking to people in tech support who really don't know that you can send an email to SMS.

It's so frustrating that the technology is there, and we can't use it.

Thanks,

-Anibal

Trelly
Friendly Neighbour

I know exactly what you mean trying to get what you need out of Telus tech support. Often time is very frustrating

anibal
Friendly Neighbour

I have been trying to use this same system but it's not working when the emails are coming from outlook. If the message comes from gmail it works.

Can somebody pleas help? I called Telus Tech Support and after being on the phone for 1.5 hours they're still not fixing this nor do they really understand what the issue is. As a matter of fact, I don't think the guy in tech support actually understands how this works.

Trelly
Friendly Neighbour

Sorry I can’t help. Hopefully someone here has a quick and easy solution for you. I’m not great with computers and I’m sure you looked at this already, but maybe it’s something in outlook blocking the message? I do agree, Telus IT folks should be able to at least help find where and what the problem is to have the feature functional.