cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do if I have a dispute regarding my data usage?

Kdub0417
Just Moved In

I was told that I used about three gigs in less than a day. I was using a internet connection all that day except a ten minute period where I used data to stream live video from 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

In recent months, I turn off my phone data when I get into the house to force it to use wifi.  I noticed a significant drop in my monthly data usage.

There must be some wifi deadzones around the house.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well there is a possibility that your phone did drop from wireless and was using pure cellular data instead if the wireless signal dropped too low. It may not have even alerted you to this as my phone never has.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero

Depending of which phone you have you should be able to determine which app consumed the data and when. 

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

In recent months, I turn off my phone data when I get into the house to force it to use wifi.  I noticed a significant drop in my monthly data usage.

There must be some wifi deadzones around the house.

Many phones will only use cellular data when the screen is off to save battery life.  Some android devices will allow you to change your wifi battery usage setting to be always on so it does not do this.

So even if wifi signal strength is perfect the default setting of most modern phones will still use cellular data in your house when the screen is off for downloading email and notifications in the background.  

ddj1234
Friendly Neighbour

you should get a data limited usage on your phone or turn off data when you are not using it

Pocket
Helpful Neighbour

Also make sure to close all data application when out of wifi zones to keep them from running in the back end unwantingly. 

RickyTang1007
Helpful Neighbour

Don't totally rely on the information provided by Telus My Account! My account shows 20Mb more than I actually used. The reason why I can tell is my BlackBerry Passport has a built-in Device Monitor (comes with BB10 OS) where I can monitor which app consumes how much data with detailed line graphs showing the time and date I used for "Mobile Data" and "Wi-Fi data". I can also set mobile data limit to be notified when data usage reaches certain amount within monthly data usage cycle. I believe most of Android smartphones have something like this.  

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RickyTang1007 You're right - some operating systems have a built-in data manager that gives you a rough idea about how much data is used.

Most, if not all, do have a disclaimer indicating that data accounting on the device will differ from the carrier, though. Nevertheless, I think Android has the best implementation of on-device data management given the thresholds and auto-shut off feature you can customize.

RickyTang1007
Helpful Neighbour

@dru, Android OS, BlackBerry 10 OS and Windows Phone OS have on-device data management. Only people on iOS are unlucky because iOS is always behind, lacking such capability.