TELUS SATELLITE CONNECTION

davidDAC
Neighbour

Do I need  SIM card to get a Telus satellite connection?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

Some of the Sat TV receivers (usually the 9400 PVR) require a Smart card.  The 9241 shouldn't need a Smart card.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus does not offer satellite telephone services.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
davidDAC
Neighbour

Okay, thanks. How do I find out if I have 9241?

davidDAC
Neighbour

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a telephone service. I'm wanting to use Telus to get online with my tablet.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Telus does not offer Satellite internet, only DSL (on copper or fiber optics).  You can always check at Telus.com if your address qualifies for service, if not, you can always get a Mobility Hub for internet access (but it's a lot more expensive).

davidDAC
Neighbour

Thanks for the reply but I'm really puzzled  by what you say.

We have a Telus connection on our iPad that let's us use the device online when away from home and not logged into another user's WiFi. So isn't that a satellite connection? We're certainly not hardwired into any network. All I want is to be able to do the same thing with the Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet as we have with the iPad.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

If that's the case you're using data from the cellphone towers to bring you internet on your iPad when you're not on WiFi.  You most likely have a shared data plan with Mobility.  I'm not 100% sure if you can add multiple tablets to a shared data plan.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

davidDAC wrote:

We have a Telus connection on our iPad that let's us use the device online when away from home and not logged into another user's WiFi. So isn't that a satellite connection? We're certainly not hardwired into any network. All I want is to be able to do the same thing with the Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet as we have with the iPad.

Depending on the Tablet, it may be a Wi-Fi only device, and not able to connect to the cellular network, as does your iPad. You can however, set up a hotspot using your phone or your iPad, and connect the Tablet to the Wi-Fi signal from the other device, sharing its internet connection. This would require the Tablet and the phone / iPad being near enough too one another for the Wi-Fi connection to work.

If your Tablet is cellular capable you will need to go to a Telus location and get a SIM card for it and have it added to your account.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"