Software Update Schedule Discussion

Highlighted
Advisor

My Iphone just got yet another update to 11.1 i don't know why android is SO SLOW but apple seems to be doing their part

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Apple has a small army of testers and programmers. They get the updates done fast and after a short test phase, release them. No need to worry about slow or lazy manufacturers of compatible devices like the Android ecosystem has.

For example:

• Google releases the initial update.
  • Vendors/manufacturers then get it, assuming they even bother in the first place.
  • Vendors/manufacturers then try integrate it into their custom versions of Android.
  • This is followed by a round of testing to make sure it doesn't break or conflict with anything. If it does then back to fixing it, and re-testing.
  • Eventually for the select group of vendors, they begin releasing the patch. Country by country in some cases. (ie, Samsung)
  • Then it goes to the cell carriers for final distribution usually. The odd manufacturer will allow direct download of the update, more often for devices purchased unlocked direct from the manufacturer.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador
It's after 5pm Eastern on Nov 1st. And my S8 had yet to receive the security update. What's the excuse this time Telus?
And yes, I've tried manually. No updates available....
Highlighted
Advisor

considering there is a wifi vulnerability called KRACK you would think that even telus would push security updates as alot of handhelds use wifi and thats the one major reason i switched back to the iphone 7 i don't care for the iphone and prefer my android but it keeps dropping calls and now with the outdated security updates i don't know if it's feasible to use anymore, really i do like the s7 edge but the dropped calls and having to call someone multiple times is getting a little tiresome.

KRACK Vulnerability Makes Wi-Fi Hacking Possible

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@mhinc wrote:
It's after 5pm Eastern on Nov 1st. And my S8 had yet to receive the security update. What's the excuse this time Telus?
And yes, I've tried manually. No updates available....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Samsung. They are one of the slowest manufacturers to release updates. My S7 still hasn't been updated either.

@Mustang_Driver - It's up to the manufacturers of devices to get the updates created and released. Google is always fastest. Most other manufacturers are weeks to months later. Canada is often one of the last countries the manufacturers release updates to. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

@Nighthawk I am well aware of the delays etc.

But the schedule should update accordingly if there are delays, which is my point.

This forum is basically non-existant when it comes to Telus actually replying to their customers.

Which is another upsetting factor.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some of the updates are listed here: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Vulnerability-in-WPA2-Protocol-KRACK/ta-p/78145

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Just performed a manual check (9amEDT Nov 2) for updates on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and it downloaded a system update.

Installed it and the OS shows:

Current version G950WVLU1AQJ4/G950WOYAQJ4/G950WVLU1QJ4

Android version 7.0

Samsung Experience version 8.1

Android Security Patch level October 1, 2017

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Nighthawk

In regards to your statement;

"Apple has a small army of testers and programmers. They get the updates done fast and after a short test phase, release them. No need to worry about slow or lazy manufacturers of compatible devices like the Android ecosystem has."

I worked for Apple as a Tier 2 Senior Advisor for 2 years.  Your statement, is accurate in one aspect.  "They get the updates done fast and after a short test phase"

But, what you didn't mention is the thousands of phone calls we get after a major OS update that screwed up phones and more than 1 way,

Apple may get releases out quick but they are massively flawed, and rely on several patches after the fact.

I would much rather wait for my provider to test in house, and get it right, than have a poorly tested piece of crap OS that is unstable and full of bugs and flaws.

Highlighted
Advisor

if what you say is true than why after i had my s7edge updated to android 7 did i experience dropped calls or calls that were just blank air... i have been to the telus store and they told me there was nothing they could do,they gave me a phone number to call and once i called they company is a warranty firm i can't remember the name but as soon as i told them the problems started after a firmware upgrade from telus OTA they told me i was on my own because the firmware had been tampered with. i called telus back and they had me do a bunch of tests with them over the phone( helped for a day) then back to the same old dropped calls, i wound up biting the bullet and buying out the phone contract and i asked them to unlock it seeing as i now own the phone they told me that was another 50 dollars but due to gov't regulations as of dec 1 they are not allowed to lock phones so i said i would wait till then but in the mean time i still needed a phone and i got a fairly good deal on the iphone 7 plus i DON'T like it but shortly after i got it the i phone 8 comes out i knew i should have waited and now the iphone x is coming out........ still i have a s7 edge that is useless not sure if it is firmware related can't get warranty done on it,i phone 7plus i despise for another 1.5yrs, long story short doesn't matter if they do the testing in house or not the software may not have flaws then telus programmers get it and maybe they screw it up and now (I) for one am stuck with a 1000 dollar paper weight

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Mustang_Driver

First, I am not sure how an Authorized Samsung repair centre is considering the firmware "Tampered" with.  That makes no sense.

Either way.  Since I haven't seen massive reports of this issue.  I can't see it being the update itself.  Very coincidental I agree.  It's hard to say what it is, but I would be pushing for warranty again, that is a poor excuse when they state the firmware was tampered with considering the mobile provider is responsible to do testing.  

Can you elaborate on that more?  What exactly the reasoning they had for that conclusion?

Highlighted
Advisor

Tampering with the firmware is anything that has been updated from original. i know it sounds a little out there but the first thing they asked me was:

Make/model/firmware #/purchase date, and where i purchased it everything checked out except the firmware updates they said i could have installed a bad update from somewhere but the only updates that i installed were the push notifications when they were available, i never did get an ota update i always had to check for updates manually. but seeing as though telus helped me out with the 200 dollar discount on the iphone 7 i just pretty much disregarded anything to do with the s7 edge, i usually use it for a music player as it doesn't have a sim card in it, i know a 1000 dollar music player but i would rather do this than run it over with my car which i intended to do if telus couldn't help me with the phone.

1 phone would either drop calls after 45 secs or i could hear the person i called but they couldn't hear me

2 it sounded like i was in a tunnel talking when it did work

3 had telus reset my phone seemed to work for a couple days called them back and they told me to turn it off for 5 minutes every night to reset it on the network

4 had to make another call to telus, they gave me a phone number to call for warranty repair

5 called the warranty service answered their questions and was told it wasn't under warranty due to firmware update

6 called telus back explained the situation to them they reset my phone and after that didn't work game me a discount code to take to the telus store for a new phone

7 asked them for a new sim card as i was reading sim cards due fail they changed it out and put it in the s7 edge and it worked fine for a couple months and back to dropping calls

8 put sim card back in iphone and never drop a call so i guess it is the phone after all or the firmware update

9 asked them to look into whether the firmware is the issue but they could not give me a definitive answer

10 i am running all the latest firmware for the phone i have reset the cache,even did a factory reset to no avail

11 just got another iphone update 11.1.1 tonight

Highlighted
Resident

Where is the Samsung S8 November update? Other Canadian carriers received this a few days ago and I don't even see it on the list now. 😞

Highlighted
Neighbour

I just updated my Pixel 2 XL to Android 8.1 using the official OTA and now I have no data connection.

Anyone else have this experience? Seems like the APN info is correct and I even tried recreating it with no effect. 

Seems odd that Telus would have to explicitly allow phones with a specific firmware onto their network. I never had this issue on Rogers where I did this for many years. Rolling back is not a great option considering I'll have to unlock the bootloader, wipe the phone, and then relock the device.

Highlighted
Neighbour
Also weird, if I swap in the Public Mobile SIM it works fine. Isn't it the same network?
Highlighted
Advisor

well i just had telus unlock my s7 edge for free and when i asked about the iphone 7 plus they told me that it was already unlocked and just to insert my other carrier sim card (rogers) i have and sure enough it worked just fine i guess there was a telus push in the firmware update that unlocked the iphone

Highlighted
Connector

I just purchased Pixel 2 XL and didn't receive Oreo 8.1 update yet. Rogers pushed the update last week.

Highlighted
Connector

I have my personal phone from Telus, it’s Pixel 2 XL and the business phone from Rogers, Pixel XL. Rogers pushed Oreo 8.1 and it works absolutely fine. I am still waiting for Telus to push the update for Pixel 2 XL.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I didn't wait for the normal update, I side-loaded the 8.1 OTA directly from Google. Doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader or anything. But as soon as I did, the phone would no longer connect to the Telus network. My wife's Public Mobile SIM worked fine though.

I ended up just going out and switching over entirely to Public Mobile today. $60 a month for 5GB is saving me like $25 a month, and it's the same network, and the phone works.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I'm in the same boat as static416. Updated to 8.1 and now no data connection at all. 

Highlighted
Resident

Thanks God I read your and static416 comment, otherwise I was also thinking to update manually. Telus is very lazy in releasing update.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A solution to the Pixel Update issue is here.  A simple change to your APN should provide a fix. 

Thanks to @maja for posting a solution!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Lets not call it a "solution". I'd say its a workaround for now. I'm still not sure what using the "ISP" APN changes from using the normally default "SP" APN. But these APNs really should work without us having to mess with them. Thankfully yes it does work though so my phone isnt completely useless 😛

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@KeithW19

While I don't know the difference between sp.telus.com and isp.telus.com, I do see the latter on my phone. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Yep I have both on mine as well. When working normally (i.e. before 8.1) it was always on SP. In 8.1 just selecting ISP doesnt actually make it work either. You have to recreate a new APN with the exact same settings as the ISP one and then choose it. Very very odd issue but it seems like it would be something Telus could quickly resolve?

Highlighted
Resident

Wait what, you were able to switch only because you bought your phone outright I guess?

Friendly Neighbour
You can switch too. They have to unlock your phone for free but you will have to buy out the remainder of your contract
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I have to say I'm absolutely flabbergasted that this issue is not being talked about or mentioned anywhere else. Surely there are a bunch of people with the Pixel 2 XL. Have they just not gotten the 8.1 update yet?

Highlighted
Ambassador

Update schedule shows 

Samsung S8Jan 26Security update

Haven't seen it on my S8 yet and it's Jan 27th.  Typically it can take some time but not usually this much.  Has Any one actually received the Jan 26th Security Update on their S8?

Highlighted
Advisor

i haven't seen any new updates on my s7edge i still have the november security update and it's now almost February and i still have android 7.0 so i an not hoping for too much more out of it but seems my iphone is forever getting updates