Software Update Schedule Discussion

mbp
Connector

Samsung only announced 7.0. If you want it with all of the fixes, you'll be waiting longer than March for the 7.1.1 release. 

CanadaJim
Friendly Neighbour

Dear TELUS, I understand the desire to not set false expectations, but having a supposedly forward-looking schedule only looking backwards is not the best idea from a customer service standpoint.

I noticed that the updates page (https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566) now has an extra column: "Target Launch".  Of course, it's empty.

Over the past few months, things only get posted AFTER they have been released.

I think if 2 things were improved, it would keep customers happy while minimizing churn for the support folks:

1. Actually post, as early as possible (ideally a month before the targeted release), the targeted release date.
  2. Add 1 more column "Reason for delay".  If there's a delay, provide a brief one-line description on why it was delayed and post a new target.

Either that or change the title of the topic the "Software Update History" to be clear you're not going to forecast anymore.

My 2 cents...

CanadaJim - BlackBerry Priv
Shane
Advocate

The BlackBerry Z10 has Target Launch of February 6 for a Security Update. Is this OS 10.3.3?

Thanks,

Shane.

Community Power User
Community Power User

It is likely a security patch. Usually OS updates are so noted.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Soundy
Resident

So I see the Moto Z got Nougat a month ago now... how long until I can expect to see it on the Z Play?

Coming from a couple of Note 3s running different custom CM13 implementations, I find Moto's version of Marshmallow extremely limited - can't customize the Power menu (Power off ONLY? No reboot??), can't customize the quick tiles, no hold-back-to-kill-app, no auto-dimming??

Community Power User
Community Power User

Seeing as how the Nougat update for the Z Play hasn't even been released in the USA yet, it may be a bit longer of a wait before it reaches Canada. Canada tends to see the updates after the American releases. Don't forget the release that will be coming from Lenovo will only be for 7.0 and not 7.11.

pbman
Friendly Neighbour

did anyone got the Android N update for Moto G4 Plus yet? it's schedule for Feb 13 release but I have not got it yet.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The updates are usually released in batches so the servers aren't overwhelmed. You may want to hold off a little on updating the G4 Plus as Lenovo's forums have a number of users indicating there have been problems since updating.

pbman
Friendly Neighbour

thanks for the reply and the head up but I'm still curious if telus mobile user have got the update yet or if there's a delay.

Soundy
Resident

Nighthawk wrote:

Seeing as how the Nougat update for the Z Play hasn't even been released in the USA yet, it may be a bit longer of a wait before it reaches Canada. Canada tends to see the updates after the American releases. Don't forget the release that will be coming from Lenovo will only be for 7.0 and not 7.11.

Hmmm to go with a third-party ROM, or to keep the warranty intact?  I've been holding off rooting until the N update but that may be too far off.

Does the Lenovo have tattle thing like Samsung's KNOX?

Highlighted
Mustang_Driver
Friendly Neighbour

apparently the issues i am having with my phone is not the phone's problem it is actually with telus itself... dropped calls,blank calls,sounding like your in a tunnel...etc i know a few others that are about to jump to another provider as we are all experiencing the same thing and when you call support they reset it from their end but shortly after it starts again so the nougat update won't help.... but maybe telus should look into updating their systems/software/hardware/services altogether and maybe then they could lower my bill a little...150 per month for 2 phones is getting a little out of hand when there are companies out there that offer so called better plans for 40 per month.....

i know this wasn't the best place to vent but i too was waiting for the nougat update to see if it would fix my issues but it's not the phone but telus itself

Shounak123
Resident
PLZ tell me when will my Indian Moto g4 play will receive nougat update?
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your phone is from India, any updates for it will not come from Telus. The update for the G4 Play has not been released yet. Only the Z Play. Once it's out you should be able to get it as a normal update OTA from Lenovo if they release the update. Your phone should regularly check for updates on its own and should pop up a notification when one is available.

pbman
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk:

I still haven't got my android 7 Nougat update yet for my Telus Moto G4 Plus, does it have anything to do with the fact that it's unlocked and a SIM from another carrier being installed?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Most likely. Your phone is not on the Telus network. It will not be able to receive updates directly from Telus as a result. If the carrier you are on now has the same model of phone and releases an update, maybe but no guarantees. Only other option would be to see if Lenovo has an way to get it from them directly without the carrier.

pbman
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk:

so are you saying that I would need to install a Telus SIM card in order to get the updates? how about a Koodo would that work?

Community Power User
Community Power User

If I recall, the update should be supplied by the originating carrier via Wi-Fi, if connected.  Others with a phone from the USA have reported provisioning from the original carrier.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
pbman
Friendly Neighbour

"If I recall, the update should be supplied by the originating carrier via Wi-Fi, if connected."

that's what I thought too.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I've heard of cases where that didn't happen and the users were not able to get the update from their original carrier. It may be hit and miss depending on carrier or device manufacturer.

pbman
Friendly Neighbour

Nighthawk wrote:

I've heard of cases where that didn't happen and the users were not able to get the update from their original carrier. It may be hit and miss depending on carrier or device manufacturer.

yes I  hear do that too in the US but not sure about Canadian carriers.