Software Update Schedule Discussion

JustAnotherJay
Connector

Hmmm... so no response here either. Does anyone from Telus actually respond here?

Community Power User
Community Power User
If you have a specific question pop into a Telus store or give them a call. That being said any Moto mods will be available on the online store under accessories.

Start your own thread about your phone questions.. As this thread is reserved for Software update discussion.
JustAnotherJay
Connector

WestCoasterBC wrote:
If you have a specific question pop into a Telus store or give them a call. That being said any Moto mods will be available on the online store under accessories.

Start your own thread about your phone questions.. As this thread is reserved for Software update discussion.

Please read my original query 4 or 5 posts back. I specifically asked about why the Moto Z Play is listed for November 18th update (still waiting) and the Moto Z isn't even on the list. I asked Telus on Twitter regarding that and they said to keep an eye on the site for updated information, that was it. The Moto Z is already receiving Nougat on Verizon, was curious as to the time frame/hold up/delay here as that will also bring it Daydream View compatibility and I've got one coming in soon...

Community Power User
Community Power User
Carrier testing is done by Telus they post what they're working on (schedule) an the target dates. ( *dates are tentative and subject to change if issues arise or bugs are found ). Until Telus is 100% satisfied how the updates perform it won't be pushed. It's easier to delay releases, then having to pull it and cause issues to phones.

You can't compare what US carriers are doing and think it will translate to what Canadian carriers are doing. Many people are under the impression thats the case.
JustAnotherJay
Connector

WestCoasterBC wrote:
Carrier testing is done by Telus they post what they're working on (schedule) an the target dates. ( *dates are tentative and subject to change if issues arise or bugs are found ). 

Which I understand, trust me I'm not a noob with smartphones by any means. I just found it very odd that the cheaper Moto Z Play was listed on the update schedule (and as I mentioned, am still waiting for that update) while the Moto Z is nowhere to be seen. I've been on the Nexus line for the last few years, and this is my first non-Nexus device in awhile but considering Motorola is pretty darn near stock Android I would have though that the update schedule would be similar to the Nexus devices.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Motorola got bought out a few years ago. Since then the updates are more sporadic. Motorola has announced that the Nougat update *should* be out at the end of the year for the Moto Z and a number of other phones. Hopefully there won't be any bugs or anything delaying the carrier release. 

JustAnotherJay
Connector

Nighthawk wrote:

Motorola got bought out a few years ago. Since then the updates are more sporadic. Motorola has announced that the Nougat update *should* be out at the end of the year for the Moto Z and a number of other phones. Hopefully there won't be any bugs or anything delaying the carrier release. 

Yup, they got bought by Google back in 2011 and then sold to Lenovo in 2014. Motorola also just announced last week that the Nougat update has started rolling out globally, and added that it would make the Moto Z and Z Force Daydream View compatible. It's already started rolling out to Verizon (apparently - but that makes sense as they have the exclusive Droid versions). That's what led me to check the Telus updates page, and then question why the Moto Z wasn't even listed on the updates page.

Shane
Ambassador

BlackBerry has released OS 10.3.3. I hope it doesn't take too long before Telus releases it.

Shane.

Edmontonchef
Connector
Good luck in the store. When I asked where I can buy moto mods the employee shruged and suggested ebay.
Philip75
Resident

Still no sign of the latest 10.3.2 release from last year on my Passport so I wouldn't get your hopes up! My wife has an unlocked Passport and she got the update the day of release. I won't be getting phones through Telus ever again. If they sell phones, they should be supporting them properly!

Shane
Ambassador

Philip75 wrote:

Still no sign of the latest 10.3.2 release from last year on my Passport so I wouldn't get your hopes up! My wife has an unlocked Passport and she got the update the day of release. I won't be getting phones through Telus ever again. If they sell phones, they should be supporting them properly!

I got the 10.3.2 update for my Z10 through Telus. My phone is locked.

Shane.

Efuhrimann
Connector

Is there any word on when Telus will be updating the upgrade schedule last listed was on December 5  and still no word on the Moto Z I only see a listing for the Moto Z play

Blutroll
Friendly Neighbour
When will telus be releasing the BlackBerry 10.3.3 OS update? This was announced couple weeks ago and I had heard some telus customers had received it, but nothing on my devices yet.
Shane
Ambassador

Blutroll wrote:
When will telus be releasing the BlackBerry 10.3.3 OS update? This was announced couple weeks ago and I had heard some telus customers had received it, but nothing on my devices yet.

Really? I wasn't aware some customers have already received it. If that's true, then it shouldn't be much longer.

I have a Z10.

Shane.

Blutroll
Friendly Neighbour
With all due respect, that argument of carrier testing doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure the provider has tested it out plenty before it gets to the carrier. I see that as a way for the carrier to drive people from a certain make of phone toward ones they favour and get better compensated on. Why else would they hold off on releasing the updates? If the carrier is doing something "special" with their networks, Nd it's causing issues with the software, who's problem is that? I mean aside from the customer.
Efuhrimann
Connector

I see it has now been updated Thanks Telus

Techjunkie
Advocate
I just chatted on twitter with support. The Moto Z update is starting today, and will continue to roll out over the next few weeks.

Hopefully it fixes the super quiet notifications. That's the only gripe I have with this phone. I always miss them because they are so quiet (yes, I have the volume cranked up). It's a known issue.
Highlighted
Smitty52
Connector
Hey Guys. Patiently waiting for the Nougat update for the Motorola Z that I just recieved. Your update page is saying today, and it's not there. I would appreciate an update please. Thanks
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Smitty52

As stated in the post immediately preceding yours: The Moto Z update is starting today, and will continue to roll out over the next few weeks.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Techjunkie
Advocate

@Smitty52 Ummm....look at my post DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS....