Receiving pictures.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Coach

When at home on wi-fi I am not able to receive pictures.

I have to turn on my mobile data to receive pictures.

Is there a setting I need to change so I can receive pictures when on home wi-fi ?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Syaoran

The iPhone, using iMessage WOULD allow the download to occur on Wi-Fi. Android phones use the cellular network to move SMS and MMS, though most carriers are zero rating the use for messaging.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Pictures by text message? These occur only through the cellular connection, not Wi-Fi. You could leave your mobile data on while at home. Then only picture messages would be delivered through the cellular system, and other data consumption would be on your Wi-Fi.

Folks could email them to you, which would work through Wi-Fi.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Rockstar

Do you have an iPhone?  If so, that is why.  These annoyances are set that way on purpose to force users into consuming more data.  This also applies to some Android devices but very few.  

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Syaoran

The iPhone, using iMessage WOULD allow the download to occur on Wi-Fi. Android phones use the cellular network to move SMS and MMS, though most carriers are zero rating the use for messaging.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Coach

Yes,I have an Android cell phone.

Highlighted
Rockstar

Although I don't have or use an iPhone.  A friend of mine with an iPhone 7 on Koodo has never been able to receive MMS messages from none iPhone users over WiFi.  iMessages to iMessage may work over WiFi for MMS but even my cousin who has an iPhone 8 on Telus just told me that she does not receive picture messages when connected to WiFi.

Depending on the Android phone, it might be as simple as just changing a setting.  What app do you use for your text messages?  Some text apps have MMS messages off by default when not connected to data and some apps also have size restrictions on those messages.  I am not familiar with the Telus implementation of WiFi Calling but that might be something to considering trying to see if that works for you and potentially another text message app.  Stock Google Messager should receive them perfectly fine over WiFi or data.  I personally use Verizon Messages+, which requires the Media setting to be set to All Media over data, WiFi, and Roaming in order to ensure I get my MMS's regardless of where I am.