Question about using an unlocked iPhone 7

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

paulscottanderson
Friendly Neighbour

Just a "what-if" question, but I wanted to upgrade from my iPhone 6 to iPhone 7, and I already have a Telus plan. If I was to bring in an unlocked iPhone 7 from Apple, would it be possible to just add the voice plan and not a data plan (and just use wi-fi)? Or would I still need both? Would it still be for two years? Thanks!

Paul

Community Power User
Community Power User

If you bought your own phone you can use it without contract if you get a new plan. You could also just replace your iPhone 6 with the 7 and keep your existing plan as-is if you plan to simply upgrade and not keep/use the 6. You'd just have to take the SIM card from your 6 and move it to the 7.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
paulscottanderson
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks, I'm just debating what to do. My current contract ends at the end of this month. I had considered not having a data plan and just using wi-fi, if that was possible, just to save some on a monthly bill. But then I'd also have to pay more for an unlocked phone upfront. 🤔

Community Power User
Community Power User

When my contract ran out I just bought a new phone to replace my old one. It's a bit of an expense up front, yes, but in the end you still pay less for the device than buying it on contract.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User
While you can have a voice-only plan, they usually do not reach the threshold to gain the Telus subsidy. Subsidies usually require a $80 or $90 plan.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
paulscottanderson
Friendly Neighbour

But could I get a voice-only plan with an unlocked iPhone (and therefore no contract)? That's what I'm wondering mostly. I'd still have to pay more upfront though of course.

Community Power User
Community Power User
You can get any plan without a contract simply by paying in full for your phone, so yes, you can do what you want, but you would have to pay full cost for the phone.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"