Nokia Lumia 930

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector
Advocate
Are there no Windows phones available currently at Telus Alberta?
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

You're right. Here's the current line up of available devices for TELUS. http://www.telus.com/en/ab/mobility/catalog/index.jsp

Highlighted
Advocate
Thanks for the response, but I don't want to be right on this point. 😉 Can we be expecting new Nokia Lumia Windows 8.1 phones soon?
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I guess that TELUS cannot comment until there is an official announcement made. So, there would be no way to find out before.

Highlighted
Advocate
While I can appreciate the politics behind such decisions, I don't understand the point of these forums then? A yes or no answer with a general time frame (if it was yes) would go a long way to keeping customers for Telus. I have been waiting for months to get a new Windows phone on the Telus network and waiting more at this point simply seems like more wasted time. I hope you can convey to the people in charge that with the current attitude, even with these forums, nothing has changed.
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

The point of this forum is to have people exchange on devices, plans and service. We can't share information that haven been released yet.

Highlighted
Advocate
I am not trying to be argumentative, but this is the TELUS Neighborhood Mobility Devices sub-forum, correct? I am not asking for unreleased information (unreleased by TELUS or by device manufacturers?). Just a confirmation that Windows devices will continue to be sold and supported going forward. Circular reasoning doesn't help build a community (which is the reason I joined) for TELUS. I am not looking for an immediate answer (from yourself). Rather, a change from TELUS to be more transparent going forward.
Highlighted
Connector

I see that the 635 has been released on Telus but still no word on the 930.  Come on Telus, get your butts in gear.  We're still waiting here for the high end windows phone.  Could you at least let us know if you will be releasing it or not so I can go buy it somewhere else.

Highlighted
Connector

They are too busy pushing iPhone, Android and Blackberry.  You'll probably have to purchase international 930 version that does not support North American LTE.  Hopefully Microsoft/Nokia will release another version for other LTE bands.  

Highlighted
Resident

Hello everybody 🙂 Here is the scoop on Lumia 930's!

THEY WILL NEVER COME TO CANADA!

Microsoft in recent days has even changed the name of their app site from Nokia to Lumia.  Tis a sad day for all of us!  Nokia is done like the Stark's at Red Wedding.  BUT Microsoft since buying and killing it, has gone away with their licence agreement and is currently looking at several different manufacturers to hold up the great name of Lumia, and their legendary status.

Why do I get to talk so much smack you might ask?  Because dear reader, I have a Nokia Lumia 930 running on SaskTel towers in Regina Saskatchewan as I speak. Telus is my carrier, I have to say the plans in this province kick ass! (SaskTel sets the standards because everybody rents their tower service except rogers which sucks a$$!).   

I have to say after a couple weeks I love this beast.  I had a Rogers Lumia 920 unlocked on TELUS and always had problems with the branding.  It would struggle to connect to TELUS on start up, would disconnect every once in a while and internet sharing never worked.  It is my first and favorite though, one and a half years running with my computer and tablet all 8.1.  It still worked extremely well which is what made me get the beast!

Here are the major two set backs!

NO LTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SaskTel runs on the 1700/2100 MHz spectrum and the 930 does not support this.  If you were following me earlier, you know SaskTel runs everything around heeya, and just don't support the European spectrums. *********, ******.

Second set back is no glance.  Yup, the European 930's amole HD glass does not support Nokia's display memory,  but the **bleep**ty ass north American branded Verizon icon does. (Also supports LTE here, your choice on branded or not).

Why I chose no brand:

What a sexy beast! 2.2 GHz, perfect Gorilla Glass3 screen and Windows 8.1 in my hand! (I have since got the developer's update 1 and 2 TONIGHT!!!!!!!) cortana is sweet, this phone is amazing.

Now on to these pesky set backs.  No LTE.  I know, this sounds like a nightmare.  But facts are facts.  I had my rogers branded on telus and speedtest only ever gave me 7 Mb/s which was plenty.  I get H+ on my 930 and 5 Mb/s is what I'm getting off both WiFi in my house and cellular.  I have to say the quad core kills it and I don't find many reductions in speed. 

As for these guys offering us anything decent, hold your breath and see you on the flip side 😉

do you want some screen shots? Heh heh heh 🙂

Highlighted
Connector
Also on Telus and seriously considering 930. I use WiFi at home and work so LTE is not a deal breaker. I've run my 5S with LTE off and I don't see a big loss in data speed. Other than that how are other features on the 930? Camera? Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Rogers told my friend that the 930 is on its way.    I need LTE for wifi tethering and will be sticking with Telus.  Telus must have something cooking on the high end.

Highlighted
Resident

Currently running a Nokia 1020 and loving it, and my wife loves her 520. We've been Telus customers for over a decade, but if we don't have some good Windows phones to choose from when our contract comes up we'll be moving on.....

Highlighted
Connector

A bit late, but just so everyone is aware, the international version of the 930 that is available at Expansys can connect to LTE on Rogers or Bell in areas that have the 2600Mhz LTE network. At the moment it's only in big cities (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for the most part), but it is available. It won't work on Telus anywhere, since Telus doesn't have 2600MHz spectrum at all.

Just a thought to anyone like me who is trying to decide if I want to buy one or wait for news on future releases.