No service on emergency phone

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hello. A family member bought a Telus phone and put a large prepaid amount on it. It was to be used as an emergency phone.  About two or three years passed and the phone was sitting idle. I went to check up on it and found it has no service (when it had service before). It is a LG-C710h android.

When I try to connect to the Telus mobile network, it says "You're sim card does not allow connections to this network"... There is a Telus sim card inside..... What do I do to get it working? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the phone has not been active in an extended period, the sim cards and plans can expire. Most SIM cards, even on post-paid plans, can expire in as little as 45 days of inactivity. If that happens a new sim card will be needed and most likely a new pre-paid plan and phone number. You may want to check at a Telus store or call in. Balances left on accounts don't last indefinitely.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the phone has not been active in an extended period, the sim cards and plans can expire. Most SIM cards, even on post-paid plans, can expire in as little as 45 days of inactivity. If that happens a new sim card will be needed and most likely a new pre-paid plan and phone number. You may want to check at a Telus store or call in. Balances left on accounts don't last indefinitely.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Neighbour

It was $150 or something like that. How do I "call in" the balance?

Highlighted
Neighbour

It also won't let me check my balance because I can't make any calls. It always says "not connected to network"

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Use another phone and call Telus or go in to a Telus store. If the phone has been dormant for a couple years, fair chance the account likely won't exist anymore.

Highlighted
Rockstar

You probably purchased  a prepaid  $100--365 plan. Has to be topped up every 365 or you lose the amount of $ or minutes in the account. A lot of people do not realize the 30 or 365 plans have to be topped up on a regular basis . I use a 365 for emergency (travel) because I don't want a locked in account that runs 2-3 years.

Highlighted
Neighbour

So the money just vanishes out of thin air if you don't use your account? There needs to be a law against this.

Highlighted
Rockstar

YES ..... You have purchased  a convenient way of having safety  and emergency access to whoever.  With out a contract that you top up monthly or yearly. Lot of people no credit check.  Like this buy a case of beer drink 6 leave others in  closet they go bad in time you lose. MY 100$ 365 is for travel in case of emergency only. At 27 cents a day peace of mind if needed. We do manage to use up most of the  money  before top up. Do a long distance call to an out of country place in the last month before top up.. Hope this helps you.  

Highlighted
Rockstar

No need for a law about this. We buy a service we want and pay for it. But people don't read the rules of the prepaid all the time.  A friend loaned me a phone and I did a 10$ 30 day. I was on a long holiday after that I purchased the cheapest phone for traveling and did the 365 only one top up a year.

Highlighted
Rockstar

Unfortunately, Canada is not on the same level as the UK and Europe with this type of pro-consumerism.  Canadian companies are greedy and the government helps them fuel their greed much more than it helps consumers.  I still have a Vodafone prepaid SIM from the UK from 2011 that still has the same Β£5 on it when I returned to Canada.  Yeah, I just checked because I keep the SIM on my desk.  Petition your local MP to push for that cellular bill of rights and the things consumers will benefit from having in it, like funds that don't expire on prepaid accounts.  

Highlighted
Rockstar

You are right (Syaoran)... I would like not top up because I still have a large balance let me use it up then top up. Hardly used phone last year no traveling (medical issues).. My top this year will have my account way over $200. But when you are over $200 you can use the money to buy a new phone. I will do that and pass my flip phone on  to someone that can make use of it. What ever $ that  remains in my account will do me for the year.