cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto X 2014 Users - Lollipop

JerCote
Neighbour

Hi everyone, just bought the new moto x. I'm loving this phone. I've had many android phones before and I have to say this is by far the smoothest and best built device I've owned.

Now, one of the promises made by Motorola when you get the moto x is that you will always be among the first to get software updates. This is easily achievable for Motorola due to the fact that they use a basically stock version of android without any skins or modifications done to the android UI. 

The new lollipop update has started rolling out to the nexus devices but also to the US unlocked version of the moto x and g 2014. 

It shouldn't be too long before TELUS finishes up testing the firmware and specific modem used with this variant of the moto x and so we should also be seeing the update fairly shortly.

Please share the news if you get prompted to update your device to android 5.0 lollipop! I'm eagerly awaiting this update that should make the wonderful phone and even better one.

So far some users on the us version have reported:

Better battery life

Better camera performance

Increased fluidity and general performance

And of course a beautiful newly redesigned android OS

Cheers!

30 REPLIES 30

JerCote
Neighbour

Agreed. I regret my purchase. This is totally pathetic service we are getting. Have you ever filled a complaint at the competition bureau?

Edit: someone on XDA said that android pit reported on the update being pushed in February...

Gageab
Helpful Neighbour

I haven't made a complaint yet but it appears to be quite easy... the form looks pretty straight forward, I will be using this by the 8th if nothing happens before then. I think a fair resolution would be for Telus to credit me the $100 I spent to get this phone towards a Nexus 6 plus give me an otter box to replace the one I bought for the Moto x. Link to form>> http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

That was me in XDA btw 🙂 the update was to 5.1 so 5.0> 5.01>5.02 none of which we have received.....

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Complain all you want but it won't make a difference because NONE of the Canadian carriers currently have the update. Motorola says they are working with them to get the updates out but considering none of them have it at all, don't expect anything to come of the complaint. (See Motorola's software update page) The message on their update page hasn't changed in 3 months.

This is what happens when you buy an Android phone. It's nothing new and it's been a problem with the Android ecosystem from the start. Updates aren't distributed equally and for some countries or carriers, not at all. Since Google sold Motorola off to Lenovo, the frequency of updates coming from them has dropped considerably. Meanwhile Lenovo seems to be putting more effort in developing their brand and devices over Motorola.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hi-May I ADD-My $0.50 ctvs. on this topic. I agree with Nighthawk that make a complaint or other actions, won't fix the issue. TELUS.com-Already announced the Update to Moto X 2014-PS wait for it. Personally I buy Phones from the 3-Mayor brands..Apple-iPhone, Samsung, HTC. They offering more frequently updates-than other manufacturers. Bye <v9>

ATTENTION: To all those members: Who are waiting for the: (Moto X-G-E: Lollipop Updates)

Is advisable that-Create a NEW post. The current one doesn't display the Page-4

So there's no WAY to read the latest 6-Replies..Here're 2-Links with latest INFO on that Update.

1): http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/android-distribution-numbers-january-still-lollipop/

2): http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/motorolas-lollipop-update-moto-x-g-e-coming-soon/

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

AlphaGPC
Neighbour

Canadian carriers do indeed have the Lollipop update. I have seen Nexus 4 on Bell get it and Nexus 5 on Rogers get it... I can look into some Note's and see if they got it as well. From all I can read, it appears that Telus is the one lagging behind and blocking the update. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@AlphaGPC wrote:

Canadian carriers do indeed have the Lollipop update. I have seen Nexus 4 on Bell get it and Nexus 5 on Rogers get it... I can look into some Note's and see if they got it as well. From all I can read, it appears that Telus is the one lagging behind and blocking the update. 

Different phones, different vendors. Each manufacturer has their own release schedule and according to Motorola themselves, no carrier in Canada has the Moto X Lollipop upgrade yet. Blame Telus if you want but Motorola is going to be a big part in this. Each device has different tweaks and features added to Android, different CPUs, different GPUs, etc. Stock Android won't work properly on all devices. The Nexus devices get updates from Google usually and tend to be the first upgraded.

@neater wrote:

Please Telus just let us know what's going on.. and when realistically we should actually expect to see this update!

The only response they tend to give out for this question is to watch their update page and I don't think I've ever seen them give a concrete timeframe for any software updates or even hardware in most cases too.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Gageab
Helpful Neighbour

While we are all entitled to our opinion, an excuse is still only an excuse. They deciding factor for purchasing this device over the Nexus 6 was basically .75 of an inch and the fact that it was advertised as the quickest updates. Now had it been advertised as quickest updates except in Canada then I would have gotten the Nexus 6. So although Motorola first misrepresented it's product and Telus also chose to misrepresent it does not make it right. I would not have a complaint if this product was not represented as it was. Regardless, I am flogging a dead horse here so I will not continue......

neater
Neighbour

I love this phone.. the hardware quality is on par with HTC and Apple.. and better than Samsung..  and the software experience in my opinion is better than any of those 3... but when you sell the thing as a phone that receives really fast updates, and we're still waiting months after American carriers have issued the lollipop upgrade.. it's pretty misleading.  

If there's some sort of regional specific hardware or software issue complicating things.. let us know. Just keep us in the loop and most people would be fine with that. 

My wife has a Nexus 5 and it flies faster and smoother than any phone running kitkat I've seen (this one included). The faster you update people, the happier your customers will be (and not just us techies who are more aware of what we're missing out on). 

Please Telus just let us know what's going on.. and when realistically we should actually expect to see this update!

neater
Neighbour

This is getting a little ridiculous. 

Can we please get a response so we have some sort of idea as to when we'll see this update? 

Are there problems with the update that we should know about? 

Please Telus, let us know what's going on. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

See my previous posts. We're waiting for Motorola to get their head out of their rear. Once they do something, Telus may be able to give a date. So far Motorola doesn't seem to put much priority on Canadians. If all Moto users started emailing them constantly, it may work.