Moto X 2014 Users - Lollipop

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Hi everyone, just bought the new moto x. I'm loving this phone. I've had many android phones before and I have to say this is by far the smoothest and best built device I've owned.

Now, one of the promises made by Motorola when you get the moto x is that you will always be among the first to get software updates. This is easily achievable for Motorola due to the fact that they use a basically stock version of android without any skins or modifications done to the android UI. 

The new lollipop update has started rolling out to the nexus devices but also to the US unlocked version of the moto x and g 2014. 

It shouldn't be too long before TELUS finishes up testing the firmware and specific modem used with this variant of the moto x and so we should also be seeing the update fairly shortly.

Please share the news if you get prompted to update your device to android 5.0 lollipop! I'm eagerly awaiting this update that should make the wonderful phone and even better one.

So far some users on the us version have reported:

Better battery life

Better camera performance

Increased fluidity and general performance

And of course a beautiful newly redesigned android OS

Cheers!

Highlighted
Connector

Hello JerCote,

We're just as excited for the Lollipop release on the MotoX! Our teams are working closely with Google and Motorola to bring Android 5.0 to our customers as soon as possible!

Regards,

Kyle

TELUS Team Member

http://about.telus.com/community/english/socialmedia
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Since Verizon released their update yesterday, we should be seeing something soon. Is the an eta for when this might happen?

Highlighted
Neighbour

Is there an update or an eta on this?  Gettin antsy.. Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident

I would also like to know, not only for myself but for my customers that I recommend the phone to also 

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
The marketing for this phone mentions "fastest software upgrades" on TELUS website. It is safe to say that speedy software updates are important to the people who chose to purchase this phone. It has been 3 weeks so far since release of lollipop so I still find the delay reasonable but not for much longer since lollipop has been released for the 3 versions of the moto x in the US and Brazil. If someone knows approximately when that info would be greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Neighbour

I agree. Samsung has even doing soak tests and rolled out lollipop to a couple of regions. 

Telus Moto X users were promised quick upgrades!

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

So Samsung has started it's rollout to the S5 in Poland with the rest of the world to follow..... see the article at slashgear http://www.slashgear.com/tags/android-lollipop/

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Not sure if there is any truth in this post but if there is don't hold your breath it is looking like mid January

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x-2014/general/telus-xt1097-lollipop-t2963523/post57281193#post...

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Good news even mexico is getting the ota right now..... 

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Hi Gageab, this was my post on XDA. Had a talk with a TELUS tech rep on the phone this morning.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
I wonder what would cause an additional month and a half of wait over the other xt1097 models. Motorola rep told me today that TELUS is releasing the update for the moto x which means the ball is in TELUS' court if other xt1097s are getting the update.
Highlighted
Neighbour

Did anyone else get a firmware sensor update pushed last night?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
No, did you get prompted or was it through play store?
Highlighted
Neighbour

It was a notification from Motorola. I just got the phone a couple of days ago so I don't know if it was an old update catching up.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Telus - give us an update. We probably should have had the update a week ago.. 

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Sadly when you chat to any of the Telus agents, they don't know anything about the update. I guess their implementation team does not inform their support team of anything. Which has to make one wonder... how do you support something you don't know is supposed to be changing..... odd.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Can we get some sort of update on this please? 

Highlighted
Neighbour

Agreed... TELUS, give us an update. Everyone is patiently waiting.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I literally just finished chatting with technical support and the agent said they still don't have a time or date he could give me. The should really remove "quickest software upgrades" from their moto x description because this is frankly embarrassing at this point.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Verizon and T-Mobile released in November closely followed by a number of other countries patience is one thing, this is becoming ridiculous.... Almost time to make a formal complaint to the competition bureau....

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Agreed. I regret my purchase. This is totally pathetic service we are getting. Have you ever filled a complaint at the competition bureau?

Edit: someone on XDA said that android pit reported on the update being pushed in February...

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I haven't made a complaint yet but it appears to be quite easy... the form looks pretty straight forward, I will be using this by the 8th if nothing happens before then. I think a fair resolution would be for Telus to credit me the $100 I spent to get this phone towards a Nexus 6 plus give me an otter box to replace the one I bought for the Moto x. Link to form>> http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

That was me in XDA btw 🙂 the update was to 5.1 so 5.0> 5.01>5.02 none of which we have received.....

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Complain all you want but it won't make a difference because NONE of the Canadian carriers currently have the update. Motorola says they are working with them to get the updates out but considering none of them have it at all, don't expect anything to come of the complaint. (See Motorola's software update page) The message on their update page hasn't changed in 3 months.

This is what happens when you buy an Android phone. It's nothing new and it's been a problem with the Android ecosystem from the start. Updates aren't distributed equally and for some countries or carriers, not at all. Since Google sold Motorola off to Lenovo, the frequency of updates coming from them has dropped considerably. Meanwhile Lenovo seems to be putting more effort in developing their brand and devices over Motorola.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Rockstar

Hi-May I ADD-My $0.50 ctvs. on this topic. I agree with Nighthawk that make a complaint or other actions, won't fix the issue. TELUS.com-Already announced the Update to Moto X 2014-PS wait for it. Personally I buy Phones from the 3-Mayor brands..Apple-iPhone, Samsung, HTC. They offering more frequently updates-than other manufacturers. Bye <v9>

ATTENTION: To all those members: Who are waiting for the: (Moto X-G-E: Lollipop Updates)

Is advisable that-Create a NEW post. The current one doesn't display the Page-4

So there's no WAY to read the latest 6-Replies..Here're 2-Links with latest INFO on that Update.

1): http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/android-distribution-numbers-january-still-lollipop/

2): http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/motorolas-lollipop-update-moto-x-g-e-coming-soon/

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Neighbour

Canadian carriers do indeed have the Lollipop update. I have seen Nexus 4 on Bell get it and Nexus 5 on Rogers get it... I can look into some Note's and see if they got it as well. From all I can read, it appears that Telus is the one lagging behind and blocking the update. 

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

While we are all entitled to our opinion, an excuse is still only an excuse. They deciding factor for purchasing this device over the Nexus 6 was basically .75 of an inch and the fact that it was advertised as the quickest updates. Now had it been advertised as quickest updates except in Canada then I would have gotten the Nexus 6. So although Motorola first misrepresented it's product and Telus also chose to misrepresent it does not make it right. I would not have a complaint if this product was not represented as it was. Regardless, I am flogging a dead horse here so I will not continue......

Highlighted
Neighbour

I love this phone.. the hardware quality is on par with HTC and Apple.. and better than Samsung..  and the software experience in my opinion is better than any of those 3... but when you sell the thing as a phone that receives really fast updates, and we're still waiting months after American carriers have issued the lollipop upgrade.. it's pretty misleading.  

If there's some sort of regional specific hardware or software issue complicating things.. let us know. Just keep us in the loop and most people would be fine with that. 

My wife has a Nexus 5 and it flies faster and smoother than any phone running kitkat I've seen (this one included). The faster you update people, the happier your customers will be (and not just us techies who are more aware of what we're missing out on). 

Please Telus just let us know what's going on.. and when realistically we should actually expect to see this update!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@AlphaGPC wrote:

Canadian carriers do indeed have the Lollipop update. I have seen Nexus 4 on Bell get it and Nexus 5 on Rogers get it... I can look into some Note's and see if they got it as well. From all I can read, it appears that Telus is the one lagging behind and blocking the update. 

Different phones, different vendors. Each manufacturer has their own release schedule and according to Motorola themselves, no carrier in Canada has the Moto X Lollipop upgrade yet. Blame Telus if you want but Motorola is going to be a big part in this. Each device has different tweaks and features added to Android, different CPUs, different GPUs, etc. Stock Android won't work properly on all devices. The Nexus devices get updates from Google usually and tend to be the first upgraded.

@neater wrote:

Please Telus just let us know what's going on.. and when realistically we should actually expect to see this update!

The only response they tend to give out for this question is to watch their update page and I don't think I've ever seen them give a concrete timeframe for any software updates or even hardware in most cases too.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

This is getting a little ridiculous. 

Can we please get a response so we have some sort of idea as to when we'll see this update? 

Are there problems with the update that we should know about? 

Please Telus, let us know what's going on.