Mobile Data Turned Off - Data still used

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have a new LG K4 phone. I have turned off Mobile data. I am a pay-as-you-go customer. When I check my Usage Summary - I see the following (different times each day - but always an hour apart):

11:33:22 PM 0 Kilobyte (Data Volume) $0.00 PDA

10:33:22 PM 2 Kilobyte (Data Volume) $0.01 PDA

6:30:53 AM 0 Kilobyte (Data Volume) $0.00 PDA

5:30:53 AM 0 Kilobyte (Data Volume) $0.00 PDA

4:30:53 AM 0 Kilobyte (Data Volume) $0.00 PDA

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is using this tiny little bit of data? I leave my phone turned on at night, but I don't use it. I have all apps set to update manually. I have the OS set to update manually.

Thanks!!

Kittycat

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

1) It seems many phones, or apps on the phones leak some amount of data. I see situations on my phone where the same pattern as you describe on our phone for hours after use to gather some piece of information - it is like an app keeps checking in for some information or other. I have one instance where 9 KB were used early in the day, and every hour thereafter for about 6 hours is a $0.00 data point. 

2) On many phones, the wi-fi radio is turned off when the phone is unused for some period. If an App does not respect the no data toggle you have set, it may 'ping' a server, but go no further, and some data is used.

All I can suggest is to keep an eye on this, and see if greater amounts are billed in the future, then call to ask for an adjustment, as I have seen no real solution to these minuscule data consumption points.

Hopefully others will jump in with their experiences!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Rockstar

In your data settings, is there a list of apps that are using your data? And do you have a background data on//off button? If so, turn it off. My data settings (GS7) lists all apps that have accessed data, and when my background data is off, nothing is used.

https://www.androidpit.com/reduce-mobile-data-usage-android

Neighbour

Thank you!! I have had a couple of chat sessions with Telus support, which have been very helpful. They've offered to put a data lock on the account which I might end up doing. 

I didn't realize that I could check the apps using data!! Even with data turned off, my phone is running Messaging, Google Play Services, Setup Wizard, and Android OS. Tiny little amounts of data.

Highlighted
Neighbour

After a little more internet research, I changed my Preferred Network Mode from GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto to GSM/WCDMA auto.
So far, no more data charges.

I send text messages on a daily basis, and once in awhile I make a phone call. I'm a very light user so it doesn't matter to me what network I use.